HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need to know what this file does

by TheMagicNinja / April 1, 2004 8:54 AM PST

This file popped up all of a sudden in dos mode on a windows xp computer and thats not supposed to happen cause WinXP doesn't have MS-DOS. the file was called labexp4. can someone tell me what this file is for and what it does exactly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to know what this file does
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to know what this file does
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need to know what this file does
by HerbChong / April 1, 2004 9:59 AM PST

a command prompt in Windoes XP isn't DOS mode. it's just a command prompt. does the window close by itself? the only reference to labexp4 is a program for controlling gas chromatographs.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Need to know what this file does
by TheMagicNinja / April 5, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

It wasn't a command prompt. I tried to run the program that was showing and it told me that it could not run in ms-dos. also I later realized that the drive that it was telling me that it was on didn't exist on the computer or any of the computers on the network. i had to reboot the computer to get windows to load cause the run windows command wouldn't work in ms-dos mode.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Need to know what this file does
by HerbChong / April 5, 2004 10:38 AM PDT

someone has been changing configuration files on your computer. have you scanned for a virus or spyware? how are you connected to the Internet? are you using a firewall?

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Need to know what this file does
by TheMagicNinja / April 7, 2004 5:38 AM PDT

Its a computer at the school I'm attending because I keep my computer clean of all spyware and virusware. I know the damages that spyware can do to a computer. But I'll get to the point. The school I'm attending currently has 21 computers running off of a T1. I dont think there's a firewall on the computer because the school district wants to be able to look at the computers remotely. There are about an average of 140 spyware files per computer but I can't get rid of them. I've alrdy tried doing that by using Ad-Aware6 but it doesn't work be cause they have a deepfreeze on all the computers which doesn't allow you to change anything with out permission it all reverts back to the orginal settings unless you know of a way to get around it or disable it temporarily. Ive tried 3 times to run a scan on there and each time there was more spyware and malware on the computer then the last time. So the spyware isn't having a problem on getting around the deepfreeze. When I tried getting rid of it before I found out I couldn't actually get rid of it i noticed that they had Gator, Red Sherrif, and alexa. those three are the only ones that I can remember the names of but there was a lot more then just those three. Also the people who are supposed to be the computer techs for the school don't have a clue on how to fix a computer. I'm always having to help the people here with their problems.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Need to know what this file does
by HerbChong / April 7, 2004 10:19 AM PDT

well, like i said, it's not a DOS window. it could be anything that has modified the startup and did it wrong. a virus, spyware, or just ineffectual hacking could do this. you can have Windows XP/2K run CMD files at startup but they are not DOS windows. there are plenty of ways to lock up a computer network with a firewall and still allow remote access. if they don't know that, they had better learn.

Herb...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.