Windows 7 forum

Question

Need to instigate a windows blue screen of death

by VictorMa8 / October 20, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

Professor has asked us to instigate a blue screen of death using C code in windows. I am a new student to programming, and cant figure this out... I guess I need to write something in cmd promnt mode that divides by zero? She said she could do it with four lines of code, and that in a unix machine it would cause a core dump... help Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to instigate a windows blue screen of death
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to instigate a windows blue screen of death
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually it's ONE line of code.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 8:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes,
by VictorMa8 / October 20, 2011 12:12 PM PDT

Thank you,

Though she wants us to instigate the BSOD by causing a memory management issue?

Collapse -
Memory Management
by kedscnet / October 20, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes,

I don't know if you have any restrictions. If you replace one of the RAM modules with one with a different size and characteristics and then begin running lots of programs, it might do it. Also, if you disable the cache, then loading many programs will max out RAM usage and probably fail.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes,

Your spec was in your first post. And in later versions of Windows, memory management is much better and I can't cause a core dump or BSOD any longer.

As you have a working one line of code to meet your spec, I feel I did enough research for your homework but want to show you an example of how 7 64 bit is doing much better.

See this -> http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/bigapp.jpg
This is one big app that is handily using a lot of RAM and will use more if I told it to.

You may have to use an older Windows to get something to answer your additional "specification" but at least I can BSOD in one line of code.
Bob

Collapse -
yes,
by VictorMa8 / October 20, 2011 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

my classmates and i figured that the newer versions of windows would not allow a
bsod from memeory management...

we do not have a device that we can reconfigure hardware ram to cause a crash either.

do you know a few lines of code that would have instigated a memory management crash
in windows 98 for example?

Collapse -
It's homework.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: yes,

Thankfully I no longer have access to such. It was a common problem back then but I think you could research this as your question has been answered.
Bob

Collapse -
I would cheat!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: yes,

Not that I would 'ever' advise you or anyone to cheat in a test or a homework question asked by a teacher, but... Devil

Find a BSOD image in Google or elsewhere that fits your computer screen. Download it and set it as your wallpaper, (hide all desktop shortcuts, and hide the taskbar), or screensaver image that you can invoke with a single click shortcut, and voila! BSOD.

You'll probably fail the test, but the teacher might be impressed with your lateral thinking! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Haha...
by VictorMa8 / October 25, 2011 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I would cheat!

This lady is not that easy.... she wants to see us instigate the bsod while she watches... yes, she likes to watch, us suffer.

Collapse -
That is amazing
by VictorMa8 / October 25, 2011 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

seeing that much ram being consumed with no issue.

Collapse -
Just a little more about that app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2011 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: That is amazing

It was more a demo to show that you could handle fairly large data sets in a C# (C Sharp) .NET based application. A colleague had stated you could not exceed 2.0GB for data. This little app was the result.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!