Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need to format...but what about SP2?????

by cebas20 / July 14, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

Since we are in a post SP2 world, I find myself with the need to format my Dell Dimension computer bc it is running really slow. I was to format the computer and use the provided restore cd from dell to re-install my applications and most importantly Win.XP. If I was to format and re-install how do I make sure that all of the security patches that Win. has released are back on my machine. My est. of the # of updates I did since I got the computer is in the ballpark of about 25-30. After the format will I have to go through each update and install all of them???

Any tips as to formating with SP2?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to format...but what about SP2?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to format...but what about SP2?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The simple answer is yes
by retired / July 14, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

You will have to re-install all updates and if the dell restore disk does not have SP2 that will have to be re-installed as well.

Right click My Computer, and properties to see what SP is installed.

Collapse -
I know that SP2 is installed...I installed it
by cebas20 / July 14, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

the sp2 is installed on the computer...that I know but is there a simpler way of installing all the updates instead of doing them one by one????????

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / July 14, 2005 9:04 AM PDT

Currently, Microsoft doesn't have a way of saving all of the updates you installed and downloaded. (Same goes with antivirus/firewall companies.) Thus, each time you format your computer, you must download and install all of the updates over again. However, you can use Windows Update to select most of the updates and have them downloaded/installed all at one shot.

If you have a Windows XP SP2 update CD, most of the updates are on there, thus saving you a considerable amount of time. If you don't have one, it's probably a good idea to have Microsoft ship you one free of charge by clicking here. It'll take a few weeks to receive, so it won't help you this time, but it will if you have to reformat in the future.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
After follow John's suggestion...
by FrankQTran / July 14, 2005 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Would that work with
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 9:05 PM PDT

a Dell OEM CD?

I'm not sure if I have seen this right, but I understand that OEM installation CD's are different to stand alone Win XP CD's, and the slipstreaming method is different.

I'm willing to be corrected of course, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Mark,
by FrankQTran / July 14, 2005 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Would that work with
Collapse -
Ahh, that's good
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark,

Thanks Frank.

I have an OEM myself, (Dell), and I had resisted autostreaming before because I thought there might be problems. I think I will give AutoStreamer a try.

Mark

Collapse -
You're welcome, Mark. Just remember...
by FrankQTran / July 15, 2005 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, that's good

whenever you needed to reinstall the fresh WinXP, use the new created CD Wink

BTW, the AutoPatcher I mentioned (when run) will update your WinXP to SP2 level automatically without any CDs requirement.

Regards,

Collapse -
Mark, my mistake...
by FrankQTran / July 15, 2005 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Would that work with
Collapse -
Thanks for the update Frank
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark, my mistake...

It's good to know there are ways to slipstream an individual OEM version.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!