HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

need to find the hacker

by joandoe / September 2, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

hello. My hotmail was hacked about a month back and old emails were reformatted and sent to all in my address book. first it was sent from a made up account. then this person made a new account under my name and sent the email again to all my contacts. this person did not change the password for my hotmail at all and i didnt know of this until one of my friends told me that they had gotten such an email. I have found the IP address, but its just one of the local internet providers. What else can I do to find this person?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need to find the hacker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need to find the hacker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Necessarily So...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2009 9:54 AM PDT

There are a number of viruses which infect OTHER machines and have the ability to grab ANY email address on that machine and place it in the "Sender" line.. Once that's done, mass infected emails are sent out with YOUR NAME in the sender line so it looks like you're sending the message but you are not.

Please tell us exactly what type of headers were on the message that "one of my friends" received.

At this point, you may want to contact Hotmail and cancel all accounts under your current username and inform them of your fears.. You state the hacker "made a new account under my name" and sent things under a "made up account". Since Hotmail will only allow one account by one username, is the other account on some other internet service provider?

Please explain clearer as to why you haven't canceled all of your current email accounts and started from scratch?

By the way, "finding" the hacker is next to impossible if they're any good. Spoofing of IP addresses is common as do various zombie machines which also run into a dead end.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
more info
by joandoe / September 3, 2009 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Necessarily So...

Thank you for the reply.
Whoever this person is only sent the email to a couple of my best friends first under a made up name. then i sent an email to all my contacts telling them that it was a virus just to make sure noone opened it. after about a day, this person sent it again to just my parents under the same alias trying to prove that it was indeed an email that i had previously sent. i retorted with another email to all my contacts telling them not to open this. The next day, this person sent the same email with a picture of me (from a year back, which my friends and i have no record of.), this time under my name and an email address which looked exactly like mine (with the difference of yahoo.com - the real me and yahoo.ca - the hacker.)
i know that this is personal vendetta against me and i want to know who it is. is there anyway to find out? I already got the IP address from the header info and it shows the same ISP as mine. do IP addresses change with area? and if they do, how do i find out what area this email could have been sent from? please help :(.. this person is spreading lies and rumors about me to everyone that knows me. even though i have a doubt about who this person is.. i know that this person is not capable of doing this on their own and must have some tech help.

P.S. I have already contacted hotmail, cancelled the account and contacted yahoo about the impersonation, but i havent heard anything back yet.

Collapse -
Do Other Users Have Access To YOUR Computer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 3, 2009 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

It sounds as if others may have admin access to your computer and as such, they may have gained such information by simply looking through your data. Be sure to secure your computer so no one has access except you.

And if you sent an email to ALL your contacts and each of the contacts was in the "To" line, then anyone can then get a list of your contact's email addresses. If one of your friends is the culprit, you've just supplied them with your entire contact list. In the future, send such broad-ranged addressed messages by adding each contact in the "Blind Copy/BCC" line of the message. Receivers can't view such lists when you address them in the BCC line.

As to the creation of a Yahoo account, such is easy to do and can be performed by anyone that chooses to do so..

Unfortunately, the IP address may be totally false and can't be relied on but if you'd like to check, type the address in the search area at the link below.. It will tell you where the basic address is located.

http://www.dslreports.com/ip

or

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hacked or smacked
by colinswd / September 19, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

Hi,
Talk about an all consuming problem, this could keep you worried and wondering for quite sometime. Just some random thoughts and several questions though, Have you logged onto your private email from a work computer? Possibly one that may be shared by others (perhaps forgetting to log off)? Does your Boss or any other person have the ability to check what goes on in those computers and can you ask your work techie guru to check about activity? Hope you find out what and WHO is causing all your email problems and then file a law suit. Thats the only way to call attention to this and to stop any future nastiness from occuring. GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
password
by mike171562 / September 15, 2009 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

After you figured out you were hacked did you change your hotmail password? I would not waste my time trying to find this person even if you geo-locate the IP it probably ends up being an virus infected windows machine. the only thing you can do is take steps to ensure it does not happen anymore.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.