Question

Need to find an inexpensive phone I can use as internet hub

It doesn't have to be a wireless hub. If I can hook it directly into my PC and use the internet via my PC that way via USB, that's fine with me. Other than that, I have no requirements.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need to find an inexpensive phone I can use as internet hub
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to find an inexpensive phone I can use as internet hub
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Location?

Isn't going to vary with location?

- Collapse -
Answer
Another issue.

I've seen a lot of folk tether to phones and recurring complaint is that the connection drops about once a hour. Some folk get very upset as they were playing some online game. Be sure you're OK with random drops.

- Collapse -
Not a concern for me

I wont be playing online games etc, it won't matter to me if the connection drops once in a while

Really - I am clueless about cellphones - I just need the names of a few inexpensive models I can look up to get me started. Thanks all~!

- Collapse -
Location matters.

What I can get here are the Virgin Mobile and Cricket plans for 35 or 45 a month. The phone can be any the Androids they offer and you could use EasyTether.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Also check into hotspots

I just have the 16gb wifi iPad2. And my husband just got a 16gb iPad 3rd Generation. We bought a T-Mobile hotspot to connect our laptops and iPads, etc to the internet when we're out of the house and aren't by a public hotspot. The hotspot is great, you can connect 5 things to it at the same time. I just buy the prepaid month and don't have a plan. You can buy the Hotspot with or without a plan. The price of the unit is different depending on if you sign up for a contract. I even used it the other day when my cable tv & internet was down. I only buy time when I need it.

But if you go this way you might need to get a usb wireless adaptor for your desktop if it doesn't have wireless built in.

CNET Forums