Computer Help forum

General discussion

need to disk copy a Linux-formatted Hard Disk

i have an old Cobalt CacheQube that i want to use at home. the IDE hard disk in the Qube has been formatted & runs on Linux. unfortunately, the 40Gb IDE hard disk has been making noises while starting up, a precursor to a fatal crash. while i can still access the data, i'd like to transfer the contents to a newer 160Gb hard disk. i tried installing the old hard disk into a USB external hard drive enclosure & reading it on my Windows 7 laptop. the laptop could detect the external hard drive (as shown on Device Manager), but Windows Explorer did not detect new drive. i don't have any Linux boxes around, and i know very little about Linux. any suggestions if & how i can do this disk copy?

ae58

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need to disk copy a Linux-formatted Hard Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need to disk copy a Linux-formatted Hard Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't mention the Linux format used but ...

In reply to: need to disk copy a Linux-formatted Hard Disk

Collapse -
You don't mention the Linux format used but ...

In reply to: You don't mention the Linux format used but ...

i don't know the Linux format. i'll certainly give this app a try. thnx!

Collapse -
thnx, but...

In reply to: You don't mention the Linux format used but ...

upon reviewing the app description, if i understood it correctly, this app will access an installed linux drive and treat it as a native windows drive, allowing the user to access the files on the linux drive.

what i need is an application that will replicate, sector by sector, a source disk to a destination disk. after the replication, i will install the new hard disk into the Cobalt appliance & boot the hard disk. at least, that's what i'm hoping to do.

so, thnx for the suggestion but this won't do.

Collapse -
PS -- be sure that you read down that ...

installable file system page I linked you to to read Mike's instructions for getting it functional on Windows 7.

Collapse -
need to disk-copy a Linux-formatted hard disk

In reply to: PS -- be sure that you read down that ...

i'll try it, then report the results. thnx!

Collapse -
This looks like a job for....

CLONEZILLA.

That's what I'd use. If you need to resize partitions do that AFTER the new drive is booting and call up CLONEZILLA's trusty sidekick "GPARTED."

Up up and away!

Collapse -
clonezilla

In reply to: This looks like a job for....

i'll try it. thnx!

Collapse -
thnx for the suggestion, but ...

In reply to: clonezilla

i reviewed the app description, and if i understood it correctly, clonezilla will replicate the hard disk of the computer that is running the clonezilla app.

in my case, the old & new hard disks are not installed in my laptop.

so i guess this suggestion won't work.

Collapse -
I did that!

In reply to: thnx for the suggestion, but ...

I had a new laptop but with a sluggish SSD (hard disk). I could not install both at the same time so I used CLONEZILLA to clone that to an USB external drive.

Maybe you are missing one item?
Bob

Collapse -
clarification

In reply to: I did that!

were you able to clone your slow hard disk so that the destination HD was a simple drop-in? meaning, when you removed the slow HD & installed the new HD, your computer booted normally?

Collapse -
Yes. I did that.

In reply to: clarification

That was exactly what I needed to do. Since most laptops can't support 2 hard drives at once, the external USB held the target drive and then swapped later.

Surely there are a lot of web pages about that?
Bob

Collapse -
unfortunately...

In reply to: Yes. I did that.

sadly, i cannot remove the hard disk on my laptop & replace it with the HD i want to copy because they're different formats (2.5" vs 3.5"). so, i may have to seek professional help for this project. many thnx for your suggestion though.

Collapse -
Seems solveable.

In reply to: unfortunately...

Clonezille won't care if the drive sizes differ. Maybe I misunderstood the goals here. What I do know is that I use the titles and tools noted so far to copy Linux drives.
Bob

Collapse -
yes, but ...

In reply to: Seems solveable.

clonezilla won't care, but i won't be able to physically install the 3.5" IDE HD into my laptop (which uses a 2.5" SATA HD).

what i need is a solution so that i can use my W7 laptop to clone an external source Linux HD to an external Linux destination HD.

Collapse -
Which we can do.

In reply to: yes, but ...

Clonezilla can clone from one drive to another drive. From a drive to an image file. From an image file to another drive.

"use my W7 laptop to clone an external source Linux HD to an external Linux destination HD."

Yes, it can.
Bob

Collapse -
i'll review it again

In reply to: Which we can do.

in that case, i'll go thru the description again. thnx for pointing it out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!