General discussion

Need to cut/crop .wav files

I'm looking for a simple program, preferably free, that will allow me to precisely select a part of a .wav file and remove it. What I'd like to be able to do is play the file to the point where I want to cut it, stop or pause the playing, mark the start point, then find the end point and mark it, then delete the selection. Just the same way you can select and remove portions of video files in Video Edit Master. I have not been able to figure out how to do that in Audacity or any other program that I've been able to find.

I used to have a free program on my old XP computer that was just this simple. I can't remember the name of the program (it had Wav in its name), and for the life of me I can't find it now to download again. Does anyone know of a good program for this purpose? My current OS is Windows 7.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need to cut/crop .wav files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to cut/crop .wav files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I do it in Audacity.

I import the wav-file, select the start point and drag my mouse to the right until it reaches the end point. The area in between gets a grey background. Then I press the delete-key on my keyboard.

What part of this doesn't work with you?

Kees

- Collapse -
Wav file editing

Thanks for responding. Clicking and dragging to make a selection works for text, but I need to *hear* what I'm doing. Is there any way to stop the play and then select where you stopped as a start or end point for a selection?

- Collapse -
Re: selecting

If you stop, the cursor returns to where you started. But choose an approximate end point and play to there. If to far, drag it to the right and try again. And so on, until you're there.

As you can note the time in milliseconds by zooming in (while your reaction time probably is some 50 ms) and return to that anytime, I didn't experience any problems.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info