Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Need to build an Ecom site with no payment processing

by fastfresh / November 13, 2014 12:18 AM PST

Hello, first post here.

I own an ecommerce company. I want to build a "wholesale" site for my big buyers. The site will pretty much be laid out like a typical ecommerce site where you have items and a cart to add them to. But upon checkout, instead of paying you hit something like "submit order" and I would get an email of the order. Then I can double check inventory, and look for the best shipping rates. After I have confirmed everything I can then send them a Square or Paypal invoice for payment.

The reason for this is these are my big customers, with big orders. I have yet to find a great automated system that treats them right. It is worth it for me to add a human element to each order while still keeping it easy for them to look through our catalog.

I'm looking for advice as to what back-end system can handle this. Magento was mentioned by a friend. I am hoping to hire somebody to set the site up, then I will maintain it. As there is no need for payment processing I am hoping to find a free or close to free back-end solution.

Any thoughts on how to best do this? I really would like a simple solution so if in the future I have to rehire somebody to work on the site it won't be too difficult for them to jump in. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to build an Ecom site with no payment processing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to build an Ecom site with no payment processing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 12:42 AM PST

How could you be an ecommerce company without this site? I take it you are just starting out. Your post detailed it well enough. You'll want a partner/programmer/web-master to get it going but unless you dive in there has yet to be anything for folk that don't want to get their hands dirty. A clear sign they aren't ready are bad reactions to replies like mine.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by fastfresh / November 13, 2014 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Wait a second.

Thanks for your reply. We mostly sell on Ebay and Amazon. We had a webstore that was supplied by the company we used to list our Ebay products, but recently took it down. We do over $1m a year in sales and have about 1000 different products.

I am fairly computer savvy and am not afraid of maintaining the site. I want to pay somebody to set it up. I have learned that when hiring people to do work you better have very specific directions as to avoid headaches.

At this point I know exactly what I want from the site, and the layout. I am just wondering what program/back-end system would be easiest for this unique site. If I go to a web-developer with what I want they will want to use whatever they know, which might not be best for what I need. Maybe Magento would be terrible and Drupal awesome, but the guy I hire is a Magento expert and pushes for that. Best case scenario I say straight up I need a Drupal site and then I can find a Drupal expert to work on this for me. I don't have the experience to know what system would handle my needs, that is why I am here.

Collapse -
It's more than picking a platform.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

It's also the hosting but you didn't mention that so I'll take that as you have that sorted. Since there are some 1000 items this is on par with the site my mother's workplace has. They went down the custom path and while they did ask others about it, my answer was in line with the prior answers. But they decided to go custom and 5 years later they finally said enough and went to GoDaddy. I have no affiliation with that system but for what you noted, it may be you need something like it.

OK, you have to find a partner to set it up, populate a few items and get a few items in the database. Now they document how to add more and you do the rest of the work.
Bob

Collapse -
ee
by fastfresh / November 13, 2014 3:26 AM PST

Cookie cutter sites are set up to handle payments, which won't work for me.

I have all of my inventory in a database already so uploading shouldn't be difficult. Ideally, I'd like to hear from a developer here with some advice as to what system(s) would be good for handling a site that doesn't take payments. I'm on another forum that seems better suited for this type of question, but I figured I'd give it a shot here first.

Collapse -
The thing about cookie cutters is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: ee

They are cheap and easy to operate. You want custom plus a pull from your database. Good luck in your search but I think a partner/temp hire would be the best fit.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hire Web Development Company
by mriollchwen / November 26, 2014 7:52 PM PST

I think you have to contact web development company in your area they will handle this query very well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!