Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need to boot several times to startup

by theresaliao / March 19, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

Hello all,

There are quite a few startup problem threads but I don't know if any of them has a specific situation like mine. I recently did quite a few things to my computer (installing new printer, several programs, add external harddrive, etc). At the beginning everything was fine until last week. I usually turns my powerbar off after each use of my computer. Last week when I tried to turn my computer on, somehow it wouldn't boot. The computer was getting electricity, but it seemed like it was stuck there and there was no BIOS beep sound. So I turned everything off, powerbar off, unpluged the computer, and repluged, and restarted, and repeated twice. The computer then booted. If I don't turn off the powerbar, the computer can startup as usual. Once I turn the powerbar off, I have to repeat the unplug/start several times until the xp properly boot. One of the times I also got the repeated long BIOS beep signal (even though after another repeat I was able to start up my computer). I was going to do system restore, but my last restore point was no good. Does anyone know what this is about and how I might be able to fix this??? This computer is about 5yr old with pentium 4.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to boot several times to startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to boot several times to startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like the old bad caps issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
If Robert's doesn't resolve it
by Ray Harinec / March 19, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

try looking in the BIOS to see what the power Mangment settings are.

You may not realize that by turning off the Power Bar will cause the 5 volt standby power to be removed from the mobo. [that is normally there ALL THE TIME]. The removal of the standby voltage is interpreted by the computer as a power interruption.

Thus, check in the BIOS to see what option for action is enabled for action after power interruption.

Some mobos have BIOS that allows the system to start after power interuption. I enable that, thus as soon as I turn the Power Bar on the system boots up.

Note that unplugging the power supply if it is plugged into the power bar is a redundant action. Turning the power bar off already turns off the Power supply.

Collapse -
Just in case anyone is checking
by theresaliao / April 10, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

Hello all,

I opened up my computer and found several "bad capacitors." Eventually I opted for buying a new computer since my computer was 5yr old and the cost for replacing things will probably add up to be a new one anyways.

Thanks Robert and Ray for helping!

Collapse -
If it's a brand name...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 10:47 PM PDT

Some like HP were asking no questions and replacing the units.

Either way the parts in the machine might be recycled since a new motherboard is under 50 bucks (like and then you install Linux to learn about that.

Collapse -
It's generic...
by theresaliao / April 10, 2007 10:52 PM PDT

Hello Bob,

Problem is that it is a I have also been having some other problems with the fans and the harddrive (and 5 years ago 40 GB was plenty). But I will salvage most parts of the old computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?