General discussion

Need to Boot NT Partition, Used to be Dual Boot

My PC had a C:\ with Win98 and D:\ with W2k. I edited boot.ini to by default boot directly to D:\ for W2k.

I formatted the C:\ drive today (NTFS), forgetting it may have some functions left in the boot process. The error that came up was that "ntldr" was not found.

I have now loaded W2k out to the C: drive, but the real goal is to make C: drive a backup for hot storage, and boot from the D: drive.

D: has the following system files presently:
boot.ini
bootsect.doc
command.com
config.sys
io.sys
msdos.sys
ntldr (copied from the C: drive.

Some of these may be there from a repair process tried after booting from the W2k CD/ROM.

I really just want to make D:\WINNT the active partition.

Dave

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need to Boot NT Partition, Used to be Dual Boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need to Boot NT Partition, Used to be Dual Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Further Info

Changing my boot.ini to include
the D: drive got me a little closer, but Windows didn't like something about the drive:

"W2K could not start because of a computer disk configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

Current boot.ini is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 D: Drive" /fastdetect

Does this have something to do with not being able to dual boot 2 NTFS fdrives?

- Collapse -
Your problem stems from

reformatting the C: partition as that is where the system files were located.

Since you then installed Win 2K on that same drive the boot sector was re-written and system files replaced which should have allowed you to choose which OS to boot to. You wanted to boot to the original so you started editing things.

You say that now your boot.ini is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 D: Drive" /fastdetect

In an ARC pathname the path is as follows:
multi(W)disk(X)rdisk(Y)partition(Z)\%SystemRoot%
or
scsi(W)disk(X)rdisk(Y)partition(Z)\%SystemRoot%

W is the ordinal number of the controller ind is ALWAYS 0
X is NOT USED for multi() and thus is ALWAYS 0 (for scsi() it is the SCSI ID of the target disc)
Y is the ordinal for the disc on the controller and is either 0 or 1
Z is of course the partition.

ASSUMING that you do indeed get a boot menu AND ASSUMING that you have 2 physical drives each on a different controller AND ASSUMING you want the initial installation on D: to be the default OS, change your boot.ini to reflect the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 D: Drive" /fastdetect

IF the D: drive is a second physical drive ON THE SAME CONTROLLER AS THE FIRST its rdisk (Y value) would be changed to 1

- Collapse -

Thanks for the reply.

I found that I had to do the above, and one thing extra. The NTLDR that was placed on the C: drive to make it bootable was not compatible with the current SP4 OS on the D: drive. I had to pull a copy from one of the D: subdirs and move it to the SYSROOT on D:. Everything running fine now. I believe I could get rid pf boot.ini all together by specifying D: as the primary boot in the system BIOS.

- Collapse -
No you CANNOT get rid of boot.ini...

unless you really enjoy problem solving because it is an initialization file hard coded to be checked by the boot loader.

Specifying D: as the primary boot will not work because although it has a boot record the boot record references nothing. Had you specified it as a primary boot device PRIOR to installing the OS then the necessary system files would have been installed in its root AND the boot record would be properly configured (would still need the boot.ini however).

- Collapse -
Ongoing PC Probs.

That new partition on D: happened several years ago, at a time I thought I might really need my Win98 partition, otherwise I would have wiped Win98 and gone with W2K.

The problem that has started this whole thing was spyware (Shopping Wizard, etc) that I had received. That stuff is brutal to try and get rid of!

In running Hijack This, SpyBot and AdAware, somehow I have lost my desktop. I have just the blue background with a cursor, and all it responds to is the 3 finger salute. There is a process running that I don't recognize, ccpwdsvc.exe, it has a high PID, so it was one of the last processes started. Any suggestions on how I might get back my desktop? I can go into DSafe Mode and everything checks out, there are icons where they should be (desktop and desktop folder) and everything seems OK there.

- Collapse -
More Trouble Shooting

In checking further, it looks like winlogon.exe runs at high priority for about 30 seconds, and then drops down to a low CPU %. I can run cmd.exe ("New Task" from the taskman menu) and get to a DOS prompt, but I get the message "Access Denied" when I try and run winnt\system32\explorer.exe

Some misc. errors show up in the event logs, but nothing that looks like it may be fatal to the login process, that certainly isn't mentioned explicitly.

- Collapse -
You quite probably have a corrupt...

account.

Since this has nothing to do with dual booting you might better start a new problem thread.

- Collapse -
Yes, you do have additional problems...
There is a process running that I don't recognize, ccpwdsvc.exe, it has a high PID, so it was one of the last processes started. Any suggestions on how I might get back my desktop?

CCPWDSVC -- part of the Norton 2003/4 security products (AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Internet Security) and used on Windows 2000/XP/2003. CCPWDSVC is used when you configure the Norton Firewall to only allow access to the Internet to specific users. When that is the case, and when the Norton Firewall has been configured to check a user?s username and password against the ones defined on the Windows PC, then this task is invoked to validate the password entered by the user who is trying to access the Internet. CHECK your configuration.

Also do an online virus scan at HOUSECALL ( http://housecall.trendmicro.com ) because problems with that could indicate you MIGHT have a macro virus problem (WM97/Ortant-A to be precise).

Could also be that a keylogger is attempting to access something.

You might consider downloading and running HiJack This and posting your resulting log with a description of your problem at http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=80958

DO NOT post any log here.

- Collapse -
PC still not giving up icons

I will check the Norton configuration. The PC does not have Internet access, so the online virus checl is out. This workstation was running Norton AV and AVG from Grisoft, so I think it was fairly well protected.

My next step will to run Hijack This and post the log to the URL you mentioned. SOmeone else has suggested some registry changes, I tried the following but no results with it:

1. Start Menu > Run > type regedit.exe
2. Navigate to the following locations in Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

point to "Services" key > File Menu > Export > and save this file name it "Services.reg"

3. Then goto the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

point to "Minimal" key > File Menu > Export > and save this file name it "Minimal.reg"

4. Now edit the Minimal.reg file in Wordpad and find the following: -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal]

and replace all with: -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services]

5. Save this file (minimal.reg) and double click on it.

6. Restart the system. Your system should start now in Normal Mode.

- Collapse -
Event Log Entries on Problem Computer

Each of these is an individual entry in the event log on the problem system:

The server {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register with
DCOM within the required timeout.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Avg7Core
Avg7RsNT
Avg7RsW
awlegacy
delprot
RasAcd

The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant
service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

The vsdatant service depends on the TDI group and no member of this group started.

The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System
No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

The SAP Agent service depends on the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible
Transport Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Wireless Configuration service depends on the NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol

The SYMTDI service depends on the following nonexistent service: Tcpip

The AVG Network Redirector service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

- Collapse -
Closed

This can be closed. I found 6 viruses on the system, got rid of them, and rebuilt both drives from scratch.

CNET Forums

Forum Info