Laptops forum

General discussion

Need technical advice/support

I have a Sony Vaio FS VGN-FS570. I know that I need a new battery, but even when it is plugged into the dc outlet it will not boot. It does not resond at all when I hold down the start button. I am not certain of where to go with this, the battery, the dc outlet, the computer itself?

Any help in pointing me in the right directio would be appreciated.

Jamie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need technical advice/support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need technical advice/support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try one thing.

In reply to: Need technical advice/support

Go get a new "cmos battery." If that doesn't fix it shop for a new mainboard.

Collapse -
Do the fans run?

In reply to: Need technical advice/support

Press the start button while watching a power supply fan. If it gives a twitch but stops, this means the power supply tried to start but detected a problem and shut down. More often its the power supply itself. If the fans run ok in the PS and on the CPU and you get no beep codes, this would probably indicate a problem at motherboard level.

Collapse -
Oops...it's a laptop

In reply to: Do the fans run?

This means CPU fan only and LEDs are your only clues. You can try it with the battery removed to see if it will run. A bad laptop battery can draw too much away from the AC adapter and not allow it to run. As well the AC adapter could be bad. You'd need a DVM to confirm that.

Collapse -
sony vaio vgnfs570 laptop

In reply to: Oops...it's a laptop

i tried taking the battery out to start without the battery. Nothing happened so the ex thought that it is either the battery or the power switch. the indicator light is on when the adapter is plugged into the wall and the computer. but, i am willing to try replacing the adapter or the battery. also was suggested the cmos batter? just would like to know which one i should try first. i am a newbie at this computer stuff.

Collapse -
Look at the price of the parts.

In reply to: sony vaio vgnfs570 laptop

Start with the cheapest part?

Collapse -
Indicator light on battery

In reply to: sony vaio vgnfs570 laptop

This just means it's internal parts are ok and working. It doesn't mean there is power to your laptop unless you see an indication there. Usually one LED is lit on a laptop when the power supply is attached and plugged in. The wiring at the plug for the laptop is a weak point as well as is the jack. If no indication of power is present at the laptop, a DVM can confirm the power supply is working. Other "creative" methods exist to test it. It should say something about its voltage and current output right on the block. If no power is present, it cannot charge the battery or power the laptop. It's usually simple enough to rule this out before taking a more drastic step.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.