General discussion

Need TECH support, not moral advice on wifi connections.

i need assistance, please only tech experts and those who have experienced the solution to this, not read about it or think they know. thanks, just need to be clear and direct here to save time.
Problem: belong to boingo wireless. there is an AP close to me but not close enough. dont want to cancel my subscription, ive tried the hawking usb antenna, mounted on window, it helps (increased the number of AP's) but still doesnt get me there. im thinking of a window mounted antenna, with some sort of signal reception booster. any suggestions, im not an expert, but am pretty capable. so if you have solved a problem like this id appreciate your help.
im using a black mac book.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need TECH support, not moral advice on wifi connections.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need TECH support, not moral advice on wifi connections.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There's a problem in distance.

Given the new 802.11g speeds, an antenna may or may not help. But if you must, I suggest a directional antenna that you make your self. This is widely covered at many web pages so I'll leave you to get back to making your new antenna.
Bob

- Collapse -
windows block signal

You may want to place it outside the window and see if you get any increase. Many windows have metal films on them. Our office has some type of high efficiency low E glass and it does a good job of reducing wireless lan and cell phone signals as well as heat.

I assume you are using that little dish thing from hawking. That is mostly a toy but it does increase the reception a little. You will notice they nowhere specify the gain in DB or any other hard numbers.

I have had good luck with hawking other product the hwun3 and connected it to a commercial 16db gain direction antenna. I directly mounted the wireless USB to the antenna to avoid cable loss but in your case if you have to place it outside I would use as short a cable as you can since the USB adapters are not waterproof. Hawkings sell their own direction antenna but I have not used them

You key problem with a direction antenna is that you have a very narrow field of view so you have to know where the remote access point is located

CNET Forums

Forum Info