Desktops forum

General discussion

Need System Advice.

by OrionLeingod / September 18, 2005 10:17 AM PDT

Ok, my system is about to die. Ive had troubles with my hard drive, cpu, gfx card, sound card, motherboard everything. Im doing everything i can each day to keep it running. So my sister is thinking about buying me a new one.

Now i have to pick which i want. She has 2 places i can get it from, frys or best buy, the reason for only 2 is since she has a card for each. So i have to go between the 2.

Now at best buy, the one im looking at is a Sony VAIO RB40 with 17" HS-Series Flat Panel LCD Display. Now my only problem with this one is the gfx card. heres the specs on the comp:

? Processor1
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need System Advice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need System Advice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Prebuilt vs. self-built
by Technojunkie2 / September 18, 2005 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Need System Advice.

I'd go with one of these for a prebuilt:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7276814&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat18700050010&id=1118839079025
Add a 128MB 6600GT video card and a decent 19" LCD monitor (Samsung?). I'm not sure any of the prebuilt machines you get in the stores have power supplies that will react well to a 7800GT. Be prepared to swap in something decent like a Seasonic S12.

For self-built:
Athlon 64 3500+ or X2 3800+ dualcore
Pair of 512MB Crucial PC3200 DIMMs
7800GT video card
Probably a recent revision Antec case (make sure its PCIe capable)
ASUS nForce4 motherboard
Seagate HD
NEC or Pioneer DVD burner

You get the idea. If you can squeeze the X2 CPU into your budget, get it. Dualcore rocks.

Collapse -
frys or best buy,
by jcrobso / September 19, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Need System Advice.

GO TO FRY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since you have a choice.
If you want to build it yourself here is a link the will help. If you don't want to build it yourself you can pay FRY's to build it for you. When I worked at FRY's I did about 30 systems.

http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/index.html

Building it yourself with your budget you can have a screaming PC better than ANY prebuilt.
If your into gaming think AMD. FRY's has CPU-MB combos.
So $300 for a new monitor and $1000 for the PC.
Check out the ads in the paper.
Spend so time reading other posts about systems builds to what others have done. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?