General discussion

Need sugguestion on new router for large home.

I'm currently using a budget Netgear WGR614 G router to connect my desktop (wired), laptop (wireless), and HTPC (wireless) on the other side of the house. I also have a network printer connected to the router via RJ45 that works fine with all computers. Currently, I'm having issues connecting the HTPC, but I'm not sure if it's because of the distance or other issues.

Anyway, I would like to upgrade to a router that has greater range and perform well for streaming media from computer to computer and from the net. Especially for my newly built HTPC. I'm looking to upgrade to an N router since they appear to have the best range. I have a 40% off discount at a store and these are my choices:

Linksys E3000
Linksys E2000
Linksys E1000
Netgear WND-3400
Netgear WNR-3500L
Netgear WNR-1000

I don't want to go overkill, but I don't want to buy something that's not going to work for me after hours of configuring. My main concerns are distance and performance. Extra features, I'm not all that concerned about, but the USB NAS option is kinda nice.

Should I be looking for one really powerful router or two simple routers to extend my range? All suggestions appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need sugguestion on new router for large home.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need sugguestion on new router for large home.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
About power.

All routers are limited to the same RF by law. You will not find a router that is more powerful than another so that's a non-starter.

What you may want to learn about is how to fill in the dead zones after you get your first router. I use the method noted in this forum's sticky post at about post 18. It's cheap and works well.
Bob

- Collapse -
Can your run some Ethernet cable?

It will be faster and more reliable. Your situation won't be any different from that experienced in other buildings with multiple walls and floors. You use wire to get from your router to remote zones and add access points as needed. The trick is finding the best way to get the wiring from point A to point B. Running such to and from attics and basement space can usually get the job done. It depends on how handy you are or if you're willing to pay someone to do the wiring properly.

- Collapse -
I think I found my issue

I just realized that my signal keeps dropping because my wireless keyboard and mouse are on the same 2.4Ghz frequency. It would work fine and then just drop. Then I would have to reconnect my receiver for the keyboard and mouse (duh!). Just didn't pay attention to it before.

Anyway, the signal is not great but it's pretty good for the distance with a G router. So now I'm looking for a dual band router with the same setup. I've decided on the Linksys E2000 since it has 5Ghz band and dual radios. Don't think I'll really need the access points (yet) - the Linksys E2000 has to out-perform this little $20 Netgear WGR614. I'm just not ready to start wiring stuff through floors up hear yet. Just finished the basement. Need a rest.

CNET Forums

Forum Info