HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need suggestions_-_ On low disk space..poping up??

by Vendetta Red / October 22, 2007 11:33 AM PDT

Hi! First my computer info...Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Verson 2002 Sevice Pack 2 (Dell Dimension DIM5100 Pentim(R)4 CPU 2:80GHz 279GHz 1.00 GB of Ram)

Well here the situation my computer has started..telling me that in my Local space (c:) was low ...so i 've deleated what i haven't used in a year and still not enough...So what progarm can i use to clear more space or how should i go about it..? (BUT BE IN MIND)..i did buy a memory chip to install into my computer(WITH THE SO CALLED HELP OF DELL AND THERE NO SPEAKING ENGLISH PHONE ASSITANCE..pissaed as hell)...it worked well untill...it almost caught my computer on fire with burning smell and computer(could kill dell) after attempt of giving runaround...GOT MY MONEY BACK!(oh hell yea..) hoping to avoid buying another one with out attempting to kill my computer(rather not) but do anyone have any other ideas or programs i could use?^-^ comments and answers much appreciated-VEDETTA RED^-^

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need suggestions_-_ On low disk space..poping up??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need suggestions_-_ On low disk space..poping up??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download and run 'Tree Size' it will tell you
by VAPCMD / October 22, 2007 12:10 PM PDT

exactly where all you disk space is being used. Also look thru the HELP or NEWBIES forum and you should find something about reducing your last 400 'Restore Points'. That can also take a lot of diskspace.

Exactly how large is the hard disk drive and how much free space do you have now ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
TO VACPMC from Vend red
by Vendetta Red / October 23, 2007 8:58 AM PDT

total space 145GB ..now 141 MB of free space... ok^-^ i'll try the tree size..and i been wondering about deleting my restore points could i do that with messing up something thanks^-^

Collapse -
Low Disk Space
by billzhills / October 22, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

Un-installing applications, if I am reading your post correctly, will not free up
large amounts of hard drive space.

Better than even chance you have filled your drive with music, videos or pictures.

Burn these items to disk then delete these files off the hard drive.

Then run disk clean up.

Bill

Collapse -
To bill from ven red^-^
by Vendetta Red / October 23, 2007 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Low Disk Space

So i should deleste all my music files to clear up space? thanks for the help^-^

Collapse -
(NT) Why not put the music on CDs or DVDs ?
by VAPCMD / October 23, 2007 10:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Then Delete ........ :)
by billzhills / October 23, 2007 11:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
OK^=^ i give it a try
by Vendetta Red / October 24, 2007 11:26 AM PDT

ok that what i try ..wish me luck and thanks again-VenRed^-^

Collapse -
Didn't see
by PKsteven / October 24, 2007 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: OK^=^ i give it a try

if you mentioned if you have more than one partition or if C: occupies full drive. Also, nothing wrong with getting another hard drive solely for backup purposes unless you have nowhere to hook it into of course, eg..IDE all taken.

Paul

Collapse -
To: paul from Ven REd^-^
by Vendetta Red / October 25, 2007 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't see

so your saying i can buy another hard drive and hook it up to the one i already have??

Collapse -
I have
by PKsteven / October 25, 2007 9:51 AM PDT

3 hard drives 1 DVDburner. 1 for storage, 2 for OS's then a 200 gig on home network for backup and storage in my son's pc as well.

Of course it depends on your specs which I don't have, however, most likely you only have one IDE for your hard drive and rom drive.

If you have more than one, you can add a hard drive or if you have a couple sata drive connectors, you can add sata drives. So unless you are completely limited on the motherboard, you can.

Paul

Collapse -
One other method
by PKsteven / October 25, 2007 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I have

Forgot to mention, an external drive would be an option as well.

Paul

Collapse -
I second the motion ...excellent strategy.
by VAPCMD / October 25, 2007 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't see

and wherever possible ... an INTERNAL HDD.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I agree and just my method...
by PKsteven / October 25, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

The way I see it, the more backup\storage the better. I use my 3 drives, two are my son's with shares, DVD \ CD , and USB backup. Even a couple of ol' dusty floppies. I have every bit of info from almost 11 years ago until now and have lost nothing.

Every so often I get rid of anything completely obsolete and only keep what will be useful etc... but I have a good compacted 20 gigs on DVD which is about 5 DVDs and I update to CD when I get X amount of new info, plus keep current importants on USB for quick access. So really, 5 drives have same backup "but 3 with OSs" of the 20 gig info so if any one drive goes, I still have it accessible on another.

May sound extreme but as stated, I can go back 11 years and still have emails, etc...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.