HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Need suggestions/advice Re a cordless leaf blower

by Angeline Booher / October 17, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

There are 2 electric corded blowers at this house, but the range is limited by the extension cord. Also, those cords get heavy and re-winding them s a chore.

Gas ones can be hard to start, and the gas and oil have to be mixed, The one that uses straight gas is too expensive,

This driveway is 250 feet long. 2 porches, 2 sets of steps. A broom is not as heavy for me as those extension cords, but that gets tiring.

Those I've seen on the 'net say they will run for about 45 minutes.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need suggestions/advice Re a cordless leaf blower
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need suggestions/advice Re a cordless leaf blower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never having owned or used............
by Mac McMullen / October 17, 2007 8:07 AM PDT

.....a battery powered unit, I can offer no advice.

I would pay particular attention to the "velocity" aspect of a cordless unit.
If it doesn't have the "guts" to do the job, another frustration is in the making.

My experience tells me that a "220 mph" velocity is a minimum to do any
kind of a decent job. I would be particularly interested in the "starting"
and "ending" capacity of a cordless. This would need come from a "user",
not a salesperson.

Collapse -
I will be sure...
by Angeline Booher / October 18, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

..... to check on the "specs" you suggested.

Nowadays some of the selling web sites do have customer comments.

Thanks, Mac!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Here you go ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 17, 2007 8:35 AM PDT

with a selection to look at and a note to consider at the end:

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=34256&

Cheapest at $39.99 and a 12 volt blower - up to 35 minute run time

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1745590

Black and Decker 18 volt with two batteries at $69.99

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/UB181DZK/

Makita UB181DZK Variable Speed 18V Cordless Blower, Battery, and Charger 18 volt and only one battery with Up to 9.5 minutes of continuous operation from a single charge at high speed (longer at lower speeds) claims 20% more air volume (78 cfm) than other cordless models at $202.00

Here is another on eBay (auction ends on the 19th) and it is a "Task Force (Lowes brand name) 18 Volt cordless blower. 2 speeds 80 mph low and 140 mph high. Comes with two 18 volt batteries, one quick charger, owners manual. Each battery has approx. 20 mins of continuous use on high speed. Batteries recharge in 60 mins. New and still in the original box. Originally purchased for $59.00."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cordless-Leaf-Blower_W0QQitemZ110180782623QQihZ001QQcategoryZ71275QQcmdZViewItem

and QVC also offers one "Ideal for use on hard surfaces like patios, decks, walkways, driveways, and garages, the lightweight unit is deceptively powerful, boasting a 170 mph air speed."

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.M14780.cm_scid.crtr/walk.yah.0101~2403

NOTE It is IMPORTANT to note that these are all designed for blowing small, light, dry debris from hard surfaces such as driveways and are not worth a d**N on grass or flower beds.

Collapse -
I checked out them all.
by Angeline Booher / October 18, 2007 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Here you go ...

Also looked at gas hand - helds, but pricey!

I have some Makita tools, so know they are reliable.

My use will be strictly for hard surfaces. I mulch the leaves on the lawn with the lawn tractor.

Thank you for your research. I found it very helpful.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
From the specifications....
by Angeline Booher / October 18, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

...... they don't hold more than 100 ft.

Then I'd still have to plug one into a 100 ft. cord to reach the end of the driveway.

But I thank you for your interest and desire to help!!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Only if
by Willy / October 17, 2007 3:53 PM PDT

I know the feeling having to start the gas blower only now and then. However, in a pinch I use the riding lawn mower to blow the leaves off the drive and/or large areas.

As for electric, they work great but you've already see their handicap, using a ext. cord. What you can do if you like($) is to place an outdoor outlet somewhere to service the area. In other words dig & place outdoor wiring to a location deemed best. Of course, I have the barn to extend my needs but still use the gas powered units. That outlet can be used for other uses like outdoor lighted displays, car heater, emergency car starts, etc. to get the most use out of it. Just an idea though... -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I do have plugs...
by Angeline Booher / October 18, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Only if

..... in my detached garage, but to reach the driveway, I'd need to use 150 feet of cord.

I mulch the leaves on the grass with the lawn tractor, and then run it down the middle of the driveway, which does bow some side to side. It takes several trips to get them off to the sides. (But not as well as a lawnmower does the job.)

Thanks, Willy!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The answer is not battery. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 18, 2007 7:04 AM PDT

I have this http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/16-Gallon-Vac-Blower/EN/index.htm and I wouldn't take for it. Bite the bullet Angeline and get this or a corded blower only. I've used tools both corded and battery for years, and since I work at Home Depot I have access to everything. Cordless blowers will be good for blowing off your porch. You need power for your description. And the vac above is the best in the business, and you get two tools in one. It's at Home Depot. Go there and put your eyes on what's available.

Wayne

Collapse -
Will that one do a good job on
by Steven Haninger / October 18, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

refrigerator coils? I like to clean ours about 6 AM Saturday morning when my wife shuts off her alarm clock. Devil

Collapse -
Wouldn't this topic be best on the eBay forum
by Dango517 / October 18, 2007 10:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not at all
by Steven Haninger / October 18, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

Ebay is an auction site offering a variety of goods...many of which are used. It's a virtual yard sale. It would be fine if someone was already looking for some particular item that was not otherwise available at a desired price. Angeline is looking for advice about an acceptable product for a specific use and not a product itself. This is a good place to take advantage of the experiences others might have had dealing with a specific circumstance so that good choices can be made. Ebay is not as good a link in this case as is SE itself. Happy

Collapse -
Well Steve if your looking for a particular item let hear it
by Dango517 / October 18, 2007 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all

Trash cans? New shirt? Pumpkin? What ever you need. Mind if I do the same? Lets see, for Christmas I'd like.......

Collapse -
That's a doggone long driveway
by Steven Haninger / October 18, 2007 11:03 AM PDT

and it makes me tired just thinking about it. Mine is only about 40 feet and manageable with a leaf rake. However, I don't rake but use my mulching mower and grind the leaves to dust by making several passes and just let it lie for the wind to disperse. It's a bit messy, perhaps. I do the whole yard that way and just consider it to be free organic replenishment for the lawn. It disappears fairly quickly. I run the mower on the sidewalk and driveway too. It does a decent job. I presume you need a riding mower but I don't have the yard or storage space to justify one. I wonder if you couldn't just chomp 'em up rather then blow them onto the grass where they might just blow back again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.