TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need sub woofer help

by fatster / October 9, 2005 3:25 AM PDT

We just purchased 5 bose jewel cube speakers. Can anyone provide advise to us as to which powered sub woofer to use with these speakers? We have a Kenwood VR-8070 receiver which includes a sub woofer connection.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need sub woofer help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need sub woofer help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bose sub
by sirroundsound / October 9, 2005 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Need sub woofer help

I thought bose speakers work best with their systems.
Seeing how bose doesn't make it easy to find any information (maybe because they don't want you to know) about power handling and other spec's, I would be cautious hooking these speakers up to a regular surround receiver. If you look at the Bose web site all they show are these speakers being connected to the bose subwoofer, which is acting as the amplifier for them, and crossover.
Using a regular receiver, and a sub output to just about any subwoofer, may not produce the ideal results.
Someone else here may have dealt with these speakers and have a different opinion.

Collapse -
Kenwood - VR-8070 Subwoofer
by hbravo / November 13, 2005 4:29 AM PST

I have the same set, Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II and Kenwood VR-8070, sub-woofer Boston Acoustics PV500.

Collapse -
If you want real BASS
by grmertz / November 13, 2005 7:36 PM PST

Check out the svsubwoofer.com site. I have the PB12 it is BASS you can feel. I have tried the "others" and it was a waste of money.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry site is svsubwoofers.com
by grmertz / November 16, 2005 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: If you want real BASS
Collapse -
Bose crossover ...
by TiVolution / November 17, 2005 11:31 PM PST

... I recall that the Bose subwoofers (I mean "Bass modules") have a higher crossover than a standard sub. Can't remember exactly, but I think the Bose subs are supposed to handle all the way up to 200-250Hz while most subs are set to handle only up to 80-100Hz. Therefore, you run the risk of a gap in frequency if you use a non-Bose sub and you could also damage those cute little cubes if you send them a full range signal that they may not be able to handle.

(Oh, and one last thing ... if you go with a Bose bass module you run the risk of pitful bass. Sorry, couldn't resist that comment ... after you've heard a real sub the Bose bass module does not impress.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.