TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

need speaker placemanet help

by sgterik / May 10, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

I am looking to put 5.1 surround in my house. I need some installation help. To begin I have a split level house where my main living area is upstairs. My ceilings are vaulted and probably 10-12 feet high. My main concern is my front speakers 3 speakers. If I did in wall speakers I would have spots for the left and center but not the Right because the wall ends and there is a door too close. My other option would be to put them into the ceiling but wonder if that is too far from the TV? (tv is mounted about 5 feet up) Also another issue is that if I do that there is a funky spot in my ceiling where the right side above the door is about 2 feet closer then the other area. This would lead my center speaker to be off a little as well. Would this really matter if I did the left and right in the ceiling up high and the center in the wall under the TV?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need speaker placemanet help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need speaker placemanet help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speaker placement help
by williamstech / May 10, 2012 2:26 PM PDT

Hey sgterik,

I've installed a few 5.1's in same configuration your planing. If you go with the in ceiling option for the front left and right with the center in the wall under TV. I've had moderate success with this configuration. My experience is that it will come down to the acoustics in the area your planning this. A hollow room with hardwood floors and wood furniture might give you some problems with the sound coming from the ceiling down. A full room with carpeted floors and clothe seating would help. Try to install the speakers in such a way that the seating can be placed in the middle of the square. FL FR

COUCH

RL RR
Another option you may consider is surface mount cube style or low profile speakers. These can be placed in corners of room or directly above seating with the added advantage that you can point the speakers directly in the listening zone. Remember most in ceiling speakers are not directional (although some models have directional cones with limited movement) so good placement and spacing is important. It can be done! Hope this helps, I would be happy to assist anyway I can. love this stuff!

Collapse -
lower profile speakers that can be placed correctly
by Pepe7 / May 10, 2012 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Speaker placement help

...are almost always going to sound better than the former as described. In wall do not sound as good because they usually aren't at the correct height/position relative to the listener's ears in the room. They simply cannot be pointed in a way to direct enough 'good' sound towards the HT listener.

FWIW, I eliminated a big 'boom' spot in the middle of my smaller HT room with a simple 5x7' rug. YMMV.

Collapse -
Other resources for ht speaker placement
by Pepe7 / May 11, 2012 1:06 AM PDT

Always start with the 'standard' diagrams you can find at sites like crutchfield & about.com. Dolby too. Links:

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?