Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need some technical knowledge

I am using a wireless hook up to connect to my ISP. I have an Adlink sender/receiver that is wired directly to a Buffalo G54 Air Station router. My desk top pc is wired directly to the router and my notebook connects by wireless. This system works fine, but my wife recently bought a home networking system. This system required a DSL or better hook up. After talking to the phone company we found out that the only option we had was a fiber optics 100MB hook up. So, with a lot of expense and a long wait we have a fiber optics internet connection sitting in the house. My wife's home networking system has a dedicated ISP address, that is in Japanese, I don't read Japanese and have no interest in connecting to this ISP. But, I am quite interested in connecting to the internet and using my current ISP through this fiber optics connection. There is only one plug available to the box that the phone company installed, is it as simple as adding an adapter to supply two connections to this box? Or do I have to buy a different router and possibly other hardware to be able to use two different ISP's?
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some technical knowledge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some technical knowledge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you want is not possible

In reply to: Need some technical knowledge

You have two DSL internet connection (yours and your wife using fiber optic)

You want to use that fiber optic to connect to your ISP..

Am I correct? If it is .. then its not possible.. because that fiber optic is assigned by your wife ISP to one phone line.

You may change your current connection to fiber optic if you want...

Collapse -
Right assumption

In reply to: What you want is not possible

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. My wifes home networking system will only connect to one ISP. I was hoping to use the much faster fiber optics connection for my pc instead of the slower wireless that I'm using now. So, I guess you are saying there is no way to connect to two different ISP's using the same fiber optics connection, right? OK,thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
Bob

Collapse -
Possible but no one offers or implements it.

In reply to: Right assumption

And with (so far) one person wanting such a feature, the million bucks to create the software and support is... not going to happen.

HOWEVER!!! Our home is wired for 2 DSL circuits. I can get a second DSL connection if I'm willing to pay up.

Not the usual but this tract was built in 2000.

Bob

Collapse -
RP, he want to connect

In reply to: Possible but no one offers or implements it.

to the internet still using his ISP, but through his wife ISP dsl fiber optic line.

Just curious.. if that what you said possible..

Collapse -
tell us about that

In reply to: Need some technical knowledge

You say you have a Buffalo wireless router with both wired (from your desktop PC) and wireless (from your notebook) connections. You say your wife's new high speed connection has only one "plug." What kind of output connection is that? Is it a standard ethernet connector? Is it a standard ethernet patch cable that connects from the plug in the box to the ethernet input connector on your wife's computer?

If it is as I suspect, you could connect that plug to the "W A N" connector on the Buffalo router and use the router to distribute the high speed internet connection to all three systems - your wife's computer and your desktop PC by wire and your notebook by wireless. All of you would be connected to her ISP at the initial point of connection to the internet as a whole, but once your physical connection passes through her ISP, you can set your home page to anything you want. The only things that might not work the way they do now are proprietary services of your ISP that are only work for customers when they are connected through one of their incoming lines. You didn't say who your ISP is, but one example of this is AOL with their proprietary mail interface and some of their members-only rooms.

Give us some more information and we might be able to find a way to share that new high-speed line.

dw

Collapse -
OK,I'll try to be more explicit

In reply to: tell us about that

The reason I have not mentioned companies is because I live in Japan and I don't think anyone would be familiar with them. I'm using an Adlink transceiver to connect wireless to my current ISP. This transceiver is hardwired directly to my Buffalo router and then my desktop computer is hardwired from my router. The computer actually thinks it is on a DSL line. I use the wireless capabilities of my router to connect my notebook pc to my ISP. I use my ISP for e-mail and as a gate to the internet, all of it's other services are in Japanese which myself and my computer can't use.
The home system that my wife bought is a dedicated internet system only, it doesn't even have a keyboard. Everything is controlled by a remote. this home system is preset to connect to a specific ISP that is run by the company that sold us this home system. It is primarily for shopping, rental movies, and games. Though it takes awhile to get through all of this companies pages, you can surf the internet like any other ISP.
The fiber optics line was installed by the phone company. The fiber optics line actually comes directly into my house and it has an access switching box at the end. this switching box has exactly one cable plug. If I understand this correctly the fiber optics line itself has no ISP of its own but is dependant on whatever is attached to it to provide the ISP number.
So, this is where I'm lost. If I hook my router to the fiber optics line I should be able to connect to my ISP,Right? If I connect my wife's home system to the fiber optics line then she should be able to connect to her ISP, Right? But what happens if I'm connected and she is connected at the same time? Reading on the internet, I've found that this is called multihoming, but it cost many thousands of dollars to do it which I'm not willing to pay. Is there no simple solution? Thanks.
Bob

Collapse -
OK, now I'm curious...

In reply to: OK,I'll try to be more explicit

I understand that, what you want to do is like a dial up connection, where you can use ONE phone line to connect to different ISP... right?

But even dial-up.. you can only call one ISP at a time... -- you need different phone line to call your other ISP at the same time --

Now, have you try to connect your device to that line? does it works and connected to your ISP?

My guess is.. even if it is working.. you will be connected to your wife ISP... not your ISP.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: OK, now I'm curious...

I want to thank everyone for their input. My problem was solved by a telephone call from my ISP. They don't support fiber optic connections so the whole thing is moot. I still think the problem can be solved by some kind of switching hardware. After all, ISP's surely don't have thousands of physical lines to the internet. Rather they probably only have one or two and route their customers through them. Anyway, thank you again.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, can you try this?

In reply to: OK,I'll try to be more explicit

Now I think I understand a little more about the configurations of your systems. Would you look at a few things and tell us what they look like.

First, there is a cable from your Adlink transceiver to your Buffalo router. Second, there must be a cable between the fiber optic wall box and your wife's new internet system. When you unplug the first cable from the Adlink and the second cable from the wall box, do the plugs look alike? In other words, are these two cables both standard ethernet cables?

If so, let's try step two. What happens when you take the cable between the Adlink transceiver and the Buffalo router and instead take the end that was in the Adlink and plug it into the fiber optic plug. You will need to turn the router off and then turn it back on, and then reboot your computer. If my hunch is correct, you'll be able to reach the internet using your router and your wife's fiber optic line.

Of course, now your wife's system is unplugged from the internet (and she's angry too Wink ). Plug it into one of the other ports on your Buffalo router (right beside the cable to your computer. Again, if my hunch is correct, her new machine will connect to her ISP's pages.

Let us know what you find.

dw

Collapse -
What I've found out

In reply to: Bob, can you try this?

Aside from what I said before about my ISP informing me they can't handle a fiber optics connection, this is what I think I know. The connection you suggest is possible. The only thing that is a major problem is that the router has to be able to handle multiple addresses at the same time. Most routers sold currently do not have that capability. Sadly, I'm not going to be able to try it out because of my own ISP's shortcomings. I'll keep trying to find out more info and check into changing my ISP also. If I find an affordable and practical solution I'll let you know. Thanks again for everyones help and input.
Bob

Collapse -
regarding your ISP...

In reply to: What I've found out

You mentioned that all you use your ISP for is email and as a gateway to the internet. Is there anything proprietary about the email service? Or is it standard POP3? Unless your access to the email server is restricted to only IP addresses issued by your ISP, then you don't need to be using their connection. Another possibility is to ask if your ISP's email can be accessed through a web interface from anywhere on the internet - such as if you were traveling and wanted to check your messages from the hotel connection. Instead of a hotel, though, you'll be coming across the internet from your wife's fiber ISP.

I understand that the Buffalo router can't handle multiple IP outside addresses, but I don't think you really need a direct connection to your ISP in order to reach your email. You can use the Buffalo router to obtain an address from the fiber optic ISP. The three systems (your desktop, your laptop, and your wife's new system) will then each draw a private non-routable IP address from the router, and the router will manage all the translations between the 3 inside and 1 outside addresses. We may need to sort out the exact method that your wife's network issues IP addresses (static or dynamic) and whether there is a logon of some sort embedded in her system. Hopefully those issues will be easy to put into the Buffalo router configuration so that it will log onto the fiber optic ISP.

dw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!