Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need some serious help. Data Recovery Experts Needed!!!

by smitty8100 / December 12, 2009 9:25 AM PST

Fist off, on a scale of 1-10 of computer knowledge I would put myself at a 6.

Ok, I really screwed the pooch on this one people. Here is what I did. On my computer I have (2) hard drives, C: & D:, pretty common thing. So I have Windows XP Home installed on my C drive and just data on the D. I treated my D drive as a vault that held all my pictures, music, documents and such. Never installed any programs on it.
Earlier this week I obtained a copy of Windows 7 Prof via student discount. So I started to pull everything off my C: drive that was important to me and transferred it over to the D: OK NOW, this is where I get really stupid. I ran the Win 7 install disc that I created and went for the option of the clean install. Now in the Win 7 install window I was shown my (2) hard drives but here Is where I messed up. I took it that Disk 0 was C: and deleted that partition. Then I reformatted that partition. Then to make it worse I installed WINDOWS 7 ON THAT PARTITION!
So most of you can imagine that when my computer booted up and I went to my D drive, it was filled with Windows files and not my files. To make it worse I never uninstalled xp so now I have a dual OS configuration in which XP is on the C: and Win 7 on the D. Naturally Ive been using the XP since its on the C: and I dont want to write anything to the D: drive.
I do know of recovery software but have had no luck. I need to find my old partition and recover it but have failed. Dont know if its bc of Win 7 on it. Should I uninstall Win 7 off that drive then try to recover it?

I just need some help or points in some directions. This thing has me sick to my stomach because of all that Ive lost. Im not opposed to sending this HDD in and having it professionally gone through but would prefer the cheaper route. Im sorry this is so long but i figure the more context of the situation the better.

Thanks for anything

other tidbits: Drive C and D were created with only one partition, not broken up

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some serious help. Data Recovery Experts Needed!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some serious help. Data Recovery Experts Needed!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by steve66 / December 12, 2009 10:26 AM PST

Not sure it would be present in this case, but look for a folder somewhere called windows.old. IF it's there, it's likely that subfolders with the "missing" items will be inside.

Collapse -
by steve66 / December 12, 2009 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: windows.old? an addendum, and other would say this as well, you've now learned the painful lesson that everybody learns sooner or later. Computers will die, drives will crash, etc., and it's not a matter of if, but when. Back up that precious stuff! Flash drives and external hard drives have never been cheaper. Or just burn that stuff to a DVD (and make an extra copy). Or try Carbonite or Mozy. Or something!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?