Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need some information on how to upgrade my computer

I am wanting to play some pc games but my computer is starting to not make the requirements for some anymore, and for me, being just barly on minimum is not cutting it

i am wondering what graphics card my computer can handle
It needs to have at least 126mb of video memory and

Dell DE051
Processor intel(r) celeron(r) cpu 2.53ghz(this i am happy with its enough to play most games)
Memory: 510 ram(i need to know what kind of ram my computer uses planning to buy 2 1 gig sticks on friday)

display device right now is
Intel(r) 82865G graphics controller
manufacturer Intel
chip type Intel(r)82865G graphics controller
Dac(whats this) type Internal
aprox. total memory : 96.0 MB

My graphics card just DOES NOT cut it anymore,
so i am bassicly looking for something with:
pixel shader 2.0(dont need 3.0)
has at least 126 mb of memory,
can run on a dell DE051 computer,
and have 3d capabilitys i am new at buying graphics cards and ram my computer has not been upgraded since i bought it 2 years ago.
also my budget for graphics cards is 50-100 canadian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some information on how to upgrade my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some information on how to upgrade my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things

In reply to: Need some information on how to upgrade my computer

Two things are needed to make that system gaming ready.

1: More RAM, which you're already working on
2: A better video card

For $50-100CA, you're not going to get much in the way of a video card, but what you can get will probably still be better than what you've got. The important thing however, is to find out if you have any free slots for a new graphics card. Does your system have an AGP or PCI-E slot? Not all name brand systems do. If it doesn't, then you're limited to PCI cards, and you'll need a free PCI slot. Do you have one of those?

Also, be sure to get the best card you can for the money. Don't skip over a card with Pixel Shader 3.0 just because none of the games you have now use it.

And just something I'm going to toss out there since you seem to be on a tight budget: Console gaming. It's FAR more economical to get a console for gaming than it is to continually upgrade your computer. Especially since unless you have a custom build system, and you or the person who put it together was very careful in their selection of parts, you're going to hit a wall on your upgrade possibilities very quickly.

Consoles are great, because you buy the one console, and all the games with that console's logo on it are guaranteed to work. There's no need to upgrade your hardware more than once every couple of years when the next version of the console comes out. So when you look at it from that perspective, even the high initial price of the 360 and PS3 aren't so bad. You have to consider that the cost is being spread out over probably 3-5 years at least. Plus, when you figure how much money you sink into new hardware just to keep up with games, it gets to be even more reasonable.

Then there's also the freedom from all the DRM and copy protection garbage that has invaded PC gaming. Whatever company it is that's behind Bioshock is a classic example. You can only install the game a maximum of 5 times. So, even if you format your system because of a virus or a your hard drive goes titsup, if you've already installed it 5 times you're going to have to call the company and hope they will give you another chance. This sort of thing is only going to get worse as time goes on. Consoles help free you from this.

So my advice, would be to give a good long hard look at something like the Sony PlayStation 2. It's a bit older, but it has a massive game library, and there are still new titles being developed for it. Just not as many as a few years ago. Still, you can go to places that sell used games and experience dozens of great games for very little money. Save the money you were going to sink on new hardware and put it towards either a 360 or PS3 a year or two from now when the prices have come down a bit more.

Collapse -
Why thank you mr informitive

In reply to: Two things

I do console game
i noticed there was a card that was what i needed but you are spouting words i dont understand i dont want someone telling me not to upgrade my computer when i have many console games, i need to know what card i can get i noticed there was a radion fx 5200 but its 6 years old but has pixelshader 2.0 ...
all you needed to do is tell me what card

and i know i have a pci slot x1 and pci slot x16 i got this from somewhere else, i excepected to come here and get some real advice not some advice that will tell me not to upgrade

i do not play shooters on the pc i am an mmorpg and strategy gamer, i can run most but with out the recomended reqs on these games i cant do some hardcore gaming
if possible could you recomend a card for my computer, i will never be playing games like crysis or spore on my comp i do that at my friends house because he has a custom built computer that currently can play crysis on very high with 30 fps

i dont want to be playing games at super frame rates, just 45 to 60 fps will do for me

Collapse -
First

In reply to: Why thank you mr informitive

First, don't rely on what other websites say, actually open up your computer to verify that there is a PCI-E x16 slot. If you don't know what one looks like, Wikipedia, or Google's Image Search should provide you with plenty of pictures.

While you have the computer open, be sure to check the power supply. The bit with all the cables coming out of it. There should be a label on it. Among all sorts of other info that won't make sense to anyone but an electrician, there should be something about total power output or external power. Make a note of that number. My guess would be it's 350W, but it may be a little more or less. Just make a note of it for now.

If you have personally verified that YOUR system has a free PCI-E x16 slot, then you can proceed to shop for cards that are within your budget. Find out what various places have within your budget, then go to a website like Tom's Hardware to figure out which of the cards is the best of the bunch. Just be sure to check the power supply requirements, and if that number is greater than what you wrote down, you'll either have to pick another card or get a new power supply with a higher output capacity.

It's really difficult to recommend a specific card, since there's a new one out every couple months, and stores will be running rebate deals and other promotions all the time... It's just too much of a moving target, but you should be able to do better than a GeForceFX 5200, even at $100CA.

Collapse -
Your Ram

In reply to: Need some information on how to upgrade my computer

DDR PC3200 400MHZ Non-ECC Non-Registered

Collapse -
why thank you very much

In reply to: Your Ram

thank you

dam it though i was hoping my computer had ddr2 its ALOT cheaper to buy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.