Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Need some info if anybody knows how

by TONI H / January 15, 2006 9:34 PM PST

to locate it. I'm trying to find out the size of the 1996 Dodge Dakota (no extended cab, no four wheel drive) gas tank, and the gas prices that were normal for April 2003 for regular.

I'm trying to do a comparison of what the cost of a trip would be now compared to then for 400 miles one way, and the miles per gallon it would normally be.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some info if anybody knows how
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some info if anybody knows how
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doing a comparison
by TONI H / January 15, 2006 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: found this

then using old gas prices vs new ones, these are my calculations....

Avg $1.56 per gallon in April 2003 (Calif prices which are normally high and using to give the benefit of the doubt) a 400 mile one way trip would take (estimating 8 miles to the gallon on that 15 gallon tank) a little more than 3 tank fulls...costing $70.02 total.

Compared with today's pricing, still using Calif prices of $2.24 per gal January, 2006....same 400 miles trip would now be $100.80

So a complete round trip would be $140 then compared to $200 today. That to me doesn't seem like a completely unreasonable increase in three years considering what's happened with the gas economy over that period of time and not something to have a heart attack over.

I've made that same trip many times myself with an extended cab/4-wheel-drive and otherwise identical 1996 Dodge Dakota without having to refill that third time so the gas mileage is actually better than 8 miles per gallon. I've had to stop at the nearly 275 mile spot, refill, and end up with about a half tank left when I reached my destination, but I was trying to be as fair as possible with the pricing and estimates.

Thanks for the info regarding the size of the tank, Mark. I don't own that truck anymore and the user manual went with it when it was sold.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni, you shoulda been drivin' a...
by Jack Ammann / January 16, 2006 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Doing a comparison

...full size Dodge SRT 10 pickup...and you woulda gotten 8 gallons per mile...LOL

Collapse -
Mark got the truck ...
by Evie / January 15, 2006 10:18 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Beat me by a neck :)
by C1ay / January 15, 2006 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Mark got the truck ...
Collapse -
Historical Gas Prices
by C1ay / January 15, 2006 10:20 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!