Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need some help with a Desktop prob.

by BowHunter777 / January 9, 2007 11:17 PM PST

Hey Guys
What I'm hoping somebody can tell me is how do I get rid of of specific desktop that appears by itself every couple of weeks.I can find it in list of desktops but can't seem to delete it.Just FYI it's a radar like screen of flights and like I said it just sets itself up as my desktop without being accessed.Any help would be great.My OS is WindowsXP Home SP2 2.80 GHZ 512MB Ram.Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: Need some help with a Desktop prob.
by Tufenuf / January 9, 2007 11:30 PM PST

BowHunter777, When you say, "I can find it in list of desktops but can't seem to delete it" what happens when you try to delete it and where is that file stored? What is the name of the file and what is the file extension?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Hey Tufenuf
by BowHunter777 / January 10, 2007 5:45 PM PST

How ya doin?.What I mean is the only place I can find it is when I go Control Panel>Display>Desktop.I can't delete from that list because as I'm sure you know if you high light a certain desktop in that list and then right click as you would if you could just go to delete all you get is "What's This?".I don't know where this thing came from and the only name associated with it that I can find is in the bottom corner of desktop picture it has the word UNISYS.I've done searchs on my PC for that name but it doesn't find anything.I mean this not a huge deal at all but it's annoying as hell that this thing keeps setting itself as my desktop every once in awhile.Hope this helps.Thanks.
BowHunter

Collapse -
RE: Problem Solved
by BowHunter777 / January 10, 2007 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Tufenuf

Tufenuf,I figured it out.I finally found the folder with certain desktops other then in "My Pictures" and was able to delete it from there. I think my daughter must of saved the desktop from an aviation website.The reason I was having a problem finding it was because it wasn't in My Pictures and like I said in my other post I didn't have a name other then the one in the actual desktop which led me no where.Anyway I got rid of it,thanks allot for replying.Until the next time haha Take Care.
BowHunter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!