Computer Help forum

General discussion

NEED SOME HELP PLZ

Hi there i have just brought a secondhand IBM computer 1st problem is no sound have checked all the usual stuff nothing wrong there secondly my first computer is running on broadband through telewest i have tried to disconnect the wire and then plug into new one to see if the internet is ok with the IBM pc but cant get it to work i need some help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEED SOME HELP PLZ
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEED SOME HELP PLZ
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us about the computer...

In reply to: NEED SOME HELP PLZ

Information about the operating system, make/model, sound card, and networking card are essential to properly troubleshoot the issues. The more information you can provide the better. Regardless, I'd start by installing the latest drivers from IBM's download repository.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Re: no sound, no internet

In reply to: NEED SOME HELP PLZ

No sound: if nothing wrong with all the usual stuff, then something is wrong with the unusual stuff.
No Internet: really not enough information here to say anything sensible about the problem.

Better use the restore CD if this computer has one, or download all drivers from the IBM or Lenovo site, get a Windows CD (can't tell which one would be best, if the original wasn't supplied) and do a clean install of the OS. If things still don't work then, there's some hardware problem.
You've got some work to do!

Do you have warranty on this machine? Then it might be better to return it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
PLZ HELP ME

In reply to: Re: no sound, no internet

hi sorry ive not replied to well im a bit stufpid when it comes to computers thats why i brought my first pc with everything pre-installed so to refresh got a second pc tried to take my modem lead from 1st pc to new(secondhand)PC to check internet connection no joy and also no sound i have tried to find out about the comp so here goes dont even know if is relevant processor authenic AMD x86 family 6 model 4 stepping 2 total ram 130544KB removable media-none display ati technologies inc 3d rage pro agp x2 network avm ison controller fritz card pci pointing device ps/2 compatible mouse (18042prt.sys)scsi adapter none modem communications cable between two computers sound card creative sb live basic wdm emu 10k sys cd rom -cd rom drive operating system microsoft windows 2000, build no 2195 SO HOPE THIS HELPS GOT THIS INFORMATION WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER IT WITH MICROSOFT.

Collapse -
No need to register a second hand PC ...

In reply to: PLZ HELP ME

as long as you don't install Windows XP on it (that needs activation).

Kees

Collapse -
NEED HELP PLZ

In reply to: No need to register a second hand PC ...

No was just messing about with it trying to get the internet on and that just came up i am getting nowhere and need serious help here.

Collapse -
Let me repeat part of my first post in this thread.

In reply to: NEED HELP PLZ

"Better use the restore CD if this computer has one, or download all drivers from the IBM or Lenovo site, get a Windows CD (can't tell which one would be best, if the original wasn't supplied) and do a clean install of the OS. If things still don't work then, there's some hardware problem.
You've got some work to do!"

What parts of this advice did you do already. If nothing, why not?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.