Laptops forum

Question

Need some help looking for a laptop

Hey,
I need some help finding a laptop. I will use it mostly for homework and entertainment. I'd prefer if it has about 4GB+ RAM, a reasonable amount of HD space (I don't usually save songs/pictures etc on my machine..), and is around $600 or under. I don't really care what OS it is (does the OS really matter?) I don't really know much about what other specs I'd like.
So I'm wondering if someone will tell me where I should be looking/what I should be looking for.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some help looking for a laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some help looking for a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: choosing a laptop

In reply to: Need some help looking for a laptop

We've got a nice thread about choosing a laptop. It's the first thread in this forum and very helpful. This is the link:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19680_102-350349/cnet-laptop-chooser-college-too/

And, yes, the OS matters. You have to choose between Mac OS (only on Macs), Windows and Linux. Windows for new laptops will be Windows 7 till the end of October. From then on you'll see a lot of Windows 8 laptops, but on any Windows 7 device you buy now you can buy a Windows 8 upgrade for $15.

If entertainment is heavy gaming, you'll need a gaming laptop (expensive, short-lived). If it's viewing youtube and streaming TV any current laptop will do.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Re: choosing a laptop

I looked there, but there are still way too many choices, haha

About the OS, I'd prefer Windows. I most probably wont be doing heavy gaming, but I will be playing games a bit.

I'd appreciate if anyone would help me narrow my choices down, as this will be one of the first times I've bought a computer.

Collapse -
Let's start with the basics.

In reply to: Thanks

The essence of a laptop is that it is 'movable'. But there's a big difference between a 10" netbook and a 17" gaming laptop in terms of movability. My son replaced his 15.6" laptop by a 14" one, because he found the old one somewhat cumbersome to carry around the whole day (bad for his back, with a normal school backpack).

Another aspect of movability is the time the laptop can be active on battery only. A 'ultrabook' would be able to do up to 8 hours without power adapter. With a gaming laptop you're lucky to make 2 hours - when the battery is new.

These two points aren't important if you plan to use the laptop as a desktop. "Homework", for example, sounds like being done at your desk at home. But then, why buy a laptop? But if you plan a highly mobile use of this laptop (using it at school to makes notes and mail and browse and entertain yourself the whole day, moving it around from course to canteen to course) things like weight, size and battery life are essential.
And, just one more thing, if you're homework involves book-keeping and heavy use of spreadsheets, you might prefer having a numeric keypad.

Kees

Collapse -
That was very helpful

In reply to: Let's start with the basics.

Thanks! I will be taking the laptop with me when I go places sometimes, but I will use it at home mostly, so I don't really need a very long battery time. I think I'd prefer the screen to be around 12"-14". Do you have any other tips on how to narrow down the choices even more?

Collapse -
Answer
Try this.

Head to the laptop picker links at the top of this forum. Kees has it in his first reply.

Now that we know the size, how about looking down that list at Amazon.com for the price and in the size you want?

Remember these are not game machines. Your video playback and card card is fine. To get into 3D video games we have to change the price point.
Bob

Collapse -
Used or no?

In reply to: Try this.

Thanks, I'm using that right now.

Should I try to stay away from used items? Also, I know an optical drive is where the cd/dvd goes, but what are Optical Storage Devices?

Collapse -
Your choice on used/refurbs.

In reply to: Used or no?

I have a few refurbs but others can't accept such.

OSD, ODD, CD, DVD drives are all optical. Are you telling the forum the stores don't show or answer such questions? I can see why folk don't go there anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.

In reply to: Your choice on used/refurbs.

For most OSD = On Screen Display, but in this case someone called it Optical Storage Device which is just another variation of the old story about the rose by another name.

Collapse -
Would it be a good idea

In reply to: PS.

to get external optical drive (is that what it's called?)? Because most of the ones I'm seeing don't have an optical drive, and I need one with a DVD/CD burner(if it can burn it, it can also read it, correct?)? Or would it be more expensive if I get one myself?

Collapse -
I own one of those.

In reply to: Would it be a good idea

I use it on laptops that don't have a drive or have a failed optical drive. It used to be quite a lot more bucks but about your question.

Since it is possible to burn media in a way you can't read it, the answer is no to that question unless you create it so it can be read. Sorry but most folk would never create unreadable media on purpose but some do!

Just get one yourself from amazon, newegg, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Looking at Bestbuy's laptops...

In reply to: Try this.

I just looked at Bestbuy's website, and they all seem to have almost the same specs (to me)...What should I be looking for to tell the good ones from the not so good ones?

Collapse -
Good question.

In reply to: Looking at Bestbuy's laptops...

I find if I create a new post and ask folk what they think about the models they often tell me.

Collapse -
Answer
Plus the OS is important

because the software is specific to the OS. Example they have MS Office for Apple and Windows but the have separate products for each OS and they aren't interchangeable.

Collapse -
Answer
Wireless Capability

That means it can connect to the modem/router without an ethernet cable, correct?

Collapse -
Not exactly.

In reply to: Wireless Capability

Modems and routers don't have to have WiFi so while this is one thing, we also have to cover what capability your modem and router has.
Bob

Collapse -
But

In reply to: Not exactly.

it means that the laptop s capable of connecting to wifi?

Collapse -
No but.

In reply to: But

It means the laptop can connect to WiFi. That's all.

Your statement about the router and modem was incomplete as not all routers and modems have WiFi capability. I've lost count of the times....
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.