HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

General discussion

NEED SOME HELP ABOUT CHOOSING EXTERNAL DVD BURNER !

by thatkinson / May 13, 2006 12:04 AM PDT

Hello, people !
It's difficult for me to make my choice about what external dvd burner for my computer to buy. I looked in some stores and in Internet and I got more confused. What activities I would do using this device ? Burning some videos (from camcorder, VCR, TV, iPod, pc) and data on dvd disks. Also playing movies (dvd, avi , divx , xvid , wmv, mpeg) and music (mp3, wav, wma). I know some parameters that are important , like : sustained data transfer, recording speed, different media files that may be played & recorded, etc. , but I need help.
What would you say about these optical drives I found in a local store (which one is better and more reliable): LG GSA-5169D or HP DVD 840e . Their prizes are almost the same. Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEED SOME HELP ABOUT CHOOSING EXTERNAL DVD BURNER !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEED SOME HELP ABOUT CHOOSING EXTERNAL DVD BURNER !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd prize the HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

The package is nice and many seem to be able to use the supplied software bundle.

Bob

Collapse -
most of the newer DVD burners are OK
by gary85739 / May 13, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

having a USB 2[or USB 1 backwards compatible]will make hook up easy!

in addition: using good DVD burning software helps, Roxio, Nero, etc.

I recently installed an "interal" DVD burner/player in my Dell 8200, it was easy, just removed the DVD player that came with the unit, and hooked up the new clips/wires in the old spots! I'm not a geek, but this was easier than you'd think, and it was only $56!!!

Collapse -
Hello again
by thatkinson / May 13, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

I salute you about changing your unit by yourself. I have got a Compag Presario notebook , but heard the internal dvd burners for laptops are expensive (something like 250-300$). That's why I decided to buy external one. Also I read some negative reviews about the HP DVD 840e. In one of those it was said that the rewriter has problems about burning some media files(difficulties about the media formats). And some guy wrote that his HP has broke after the 2nd burned dvd disk. He supposed that HP DVD 840e was a rebadged one. And I heard from a computer shop-assistant in a local store , HP make also rebadged
pcs. I think I'll buy the LG one. Anyway, thank you very much for your reply!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.