HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need some help!

by beach2944 / January 23, 2008 11:34 PM PST

Trojen horse BHO.CZO my AVG found it ok but my home page keeps changing to about:blank I'm not sure if it's from the Trojen horse or not?
I just ran my updated AVG again and it found nothing this time?
But I still have a problem with my home page Sad

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Beach

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try to use about:Buster
by Donna Buenaventura / January 23, 2008 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Need some help!
Collapse -
Thanks Donna!
by beach2944 / January 24, 2008 5:53 AM PST

I downloaded the file and ran it and I still have the problem with my home page swiching to about:blank
I can't get into safe mode on my computer for some reason. I press F8 after restart (before windows start) but I keep going to windows. The about:buster program was ran in windows.
I went to the XP help menu for starting in safe mode but I don't have a drop down menu in my "Turn computer off" All I have is Stand By, Turn Off and Restart.
I think I need to take a computer course Happy

Thanks for the link, I'll keep trying.

Beach

Collapse -
Not Donna but until her return..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Donna!

Beach..

Maybe this will help you get into Safe Mode. There are two ways of doing it. After you pressed restart did you tap F8 repeatedly, as the instructions implied? If you scroll down to where you see Windows XP in the below link, you'll see the second method of getting into Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

Just out of curiosity. Go to the web site you had your home page originally set to. Once there, click on Tools>Internet Options. Under the General Tab, is the Home Page section. Click on the "Use Current" button. Then Apply>OK. Restart the computer. When you open Internet Explorer, does your home page still open as About:Blank?

If you're able to get into safe mode using the alternate method, you might want to try using AboutBuster again, as Donna originally suggested. It should give you something to do, until she returns. Wink
Carol

Collapse -
safeboot
by Joe Karnis / January 29, 2008 8:47 AM PST

when tapping F8 did'nt work for me, i tried a tip from one of Ziff Davis sites.

open start menu choose run type msconfig click ok. when menu opens choose BOOT. INI put a check mark where safeboot is. close menu then restart. computer should be in safemode. when you are done you have to reverse what was done, uncheck safeboot shutdown then restart.

joe karnis

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Same "tip" at Bleeping Computer link in my post ;)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: safeboot
Collapse -
Here is another solution that may help...
by Larry38 / January 24, 2008 8:43 AM PST

Try to download SUPERAntiSpyware and run it.
Link
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Also it has another feature that may help called Hi-Jack Protection. It will not let your home page be changed, unless you allow it to. It will popup and ask to block or allow if it detects a homepage change. Have a look here.
http://www.superantispyware.com/WebHelp/SUPERAntiSpyware.htm
Go to the left side and click on Preferences and Options then click on Hi-Jack Protection.

Larry

Collapse -
Here is another way to get into safemode
by phil66 / January 24, 2008 9:38 AM PST

To use the System Configuration Utility method

* Close all open programs.
* Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
* The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
* The computer restarts in Safe mode.
* Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Collapse -
Thanks All!
by beach2944 / January 24, 2008 7:11 PM PST

I appreciate your help!
I'm just off to work but I'll try again tonight Happy

Beach

Collapse -
Thanks, All!
by shekinah00 / January 29, 2008 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks All!

I would suggest you install WinPatrol, this program allows you to see what is going on in your startup programs ( and you can change that anytime you wish), and it also has a function to not allow your home page to be changed unless you allow it. If you had this program in place, you would have been sent a warning that about was trying to change your homepage. You would have then just denied the change, and it would not have happened. Since you have XP, I would suggest you use System Restore to restore your hard drive back to where it was before this happened to you. If you know the date this happened, then you restore to any previous point beore that occurrence. To get there go to Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. Would suggest you install WinPatrol after you use System Restore to protect your home page.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Collapse -
The Blank screen
by mckenzig / January 29, 2008 5:13 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, All!

I was also going to sugest Super Anti Spyware which fixed the very same problem and has continued to be a good addition to the armory.

Collapse -
Re: Need some help!
by enascarblack3 / February 5, 2008 4:30 AM PST

There is a program called Hi-Jack this. You could try this to see if someone might have Hijacked you! Good luck let me know thanks!! Shawn

Collapse -
That program should NOT be used unless an
by roddy32 / February 5, 2008 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Need some help!

expert that is trained is guiding the user. It is too easy to delete the wrong thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.