Desktops forum

General discussion

Need some advice on Triple Core desktops

by Burns098356GX / March 3, 2009 11:50 AM PST

Im in the market for a new desktop after using my last PC for over 5 years. When shopping today I noticed a triple-core processor and was curious because I've never seen anything but duals and quads. Is there a reason why they are not as popular? Or are they just an upgrade from a dual, but a slight step down from a quad? Is there any known issues I should be aware of?

The desktop I was planning on getting is an HP a6702f, which is an AMD 8550 Triple Core @ 2.2ghz, 4g ram.

Honestly, the most graphically intensive thing I'll be running in the foreseeable future is warcraft, Im assuming that this will be more than enough to cover what I want it to do, I was just wondering if theres any issues I Should be aware of before buyng a X3 processor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some advice on Triple Core desktops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some advice on Triple Core desktops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tri cores
by ramarc / March 3, 2009 11:40 PM PST

tri cores are just another computing option. amd 'created' them to compete with intel's core2duo. amd's cpus couldn't match the performance of core2duo at the same clock frequency, so they offer an extra cpu core to offset the slower performance. they're a good cpu and certainly fast enough for most users.

the a6702f you mention uses integrated graphics. as long as you can be satisfied playing WoW at medium settings or at a low resolution (1024x768) you should be ok. if you want to run at the full resolution of a widescreen lcd, consider adding a radeon hd 4670 (about $80 from buy.com).

Collapse -
RE
by Burns098356GX / March 4, 2009 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: tri cores

Actually I beleive the video card is a Nvidia 9100, I honestly have no idea how good that is compared to everything else that is avaliable. I was using WoW as a bench mark that would be the most intensive thing I would be running graphically, atleast for the time being. If the processors are reliable, and worth the money, then i have no problem buying that system, so much as the video card can preform for what i want.

Collapse -
RE
by Burns098356GX / March 4, 2009 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: RE
Collapse -
(NT) nvidia 9100 is integrated graphics
by ramarc / March 4, 2009 1:50 AM PST
Collapse -
correction: nvidia 9100 is equivalent to integrated graphics
by ramarc / March 4, 2009 1:52 AM PST

it can use shared memory and only peforms like integrated graphics.

Collapse -
re-correction: nvidia 9100 is integrated
by ramarc / March 4, 2009 1:57 AM PST

here's your pc. the video ports are on the main i/o panel and no slots are occupied.

HP Pavilion A6720F

Collapse -
RE
by Burns098356GX / March 4, 2009 2:14 AM PST

So your saying its just a intergrated graphics card, and would not preform as well as a dedicated card?

Collapse -
yes
by ramarc / March 4, 2009 2:49 AM PST

any geforce below a 8500/9500 or radeon 3600/4600 will only give very low performance in games.

Collapse -
Re:
by Burns098356GX / March 4, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: yes

is there any where I could see a list of video cards so i can tell what is good vs. bad? or recommend a few that could run at medium to high settings? I'm just not in the loop on video cards being produced now, the last card I bought was a ATI 9250, which was aces when I bought it.

Collapse -
the best cards for for most budgets
by repete_smile / March 4, 2009 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

$500 GTX295
$400 HD4870X2
$300 GTX285
$200 HD4870
$175 HD4870(yes they are that cheap now a days
$150 HD4850
$125 don't buy any card in this range, the extra $25 for a 4850 is worth it
$100 HD4830
$75 HD4670
$50 9400GT or HD4550

don't buy anything lower end for gaming, please

Collapse -
hd 4830 is going away
by ramarc / March 5, 2009 7:20 AM PST

amd dropped the official price of the hd 4870 512mb to $150 and the hd 4850 will be $130. might take a few days for the new pricing to go in effect and there'll likely be a rebate involved.

article

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?