TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need some advice: Best pixel counts for HD?

by psbecker / July 21, 2006 1:43 AM PDT

I am finally moving to purchase an LCD HD set. I would like one that would perform well with standard NTSC signals as well as both 720 and 1080 scans.

It would seem to me that I would want the number of rows of pixels to somehow correspond to the number of scan lines: either a 1 to 1 ratio or some multiple thereof. Otherwise, you would get some level of fuzziness as the set tries to interpolate scan lines to rows of pixels.

Am I right, or am I confused, or is this no big deal? I have seen LCD sets with all sorts of pixel counts. Are there some that are better than others, or is the old rule of ''more must be better'' appropriate here?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some advice: Best pixel counts for HD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some advice: Best pixel counts for HD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and No
by kena10 / July 21, 2006 2:25 AM PDT

if you're going to see a lot of HD content, then you definitely want the highest amount of pixels you can get on a tv set. Normally a 720 set will work well for analog and hd signals but it won't give you the definition you're looking for since it maxes out at 720. 1080 sets on the other hand will have a greater number of pixels they can display and will not look that great when they display standard def broadcasts (mainly tv stations that have a sub-par image quality like univision).

Another factor to consider is brand reliability. If you get a knock-off brand like viore and the set claims to produce 1080, I wouldn't expect the picture quality to be that great. On the other hand, if you choose a better set like a Pioneer elite or a Sony SXRD, the picture quality will be incredible.

I hope this helps

Jimmy

Collapse -
you're thinking too much into it
by masterying01 / July 21, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

its a lot like how a 8.1megapixel point and shoot camera will take crappier pictures then a 5.1megapixel digital SLR. the higher number doesnt always mean its better.

like what john said, stay away from off brands (viore, westinghouse, maxent, akai, gateway, dell, sylvania, etc) and go with a good brand like sony, pioneer, samsung, hitachi, etc and you'll be all set.

when you buy a car, you're not buying a car because it has 30 more horse power then the other one...you're buying it because it looks better and its a better ride. just like a tv...dont buy a car based on numbers....buy a tv based on the picture quality. you'll be watching the screen...not a little piece of paper that tells you how many dots are on the screen.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the only numbers that matter have a $$$$ in front of it.
by gabereyes / July 21, 2006 3:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for your advice
by psbecker / July 22, 2006 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Seems that the info can best be summed up as choose a set with 1080 scan lines, stay with a high quality vendor and most important let your eyes -- not a spec sheet -- decide what you like.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.