PC Applications forum

General discussion

Need security/repair advice

by rbartl / October 19, 2006 6:36 AM PDT

Hi, I have a few questions about security and repair tools for my PC. I have a Gateway MX3414 AMD Turion (tm) 64x2 mobile technology TL-50 1.6 GHz 960 MB RAM, Win xp media center 2002.

First, my computer came with Mc Aphee which I never activated but it seems to be working despite the fact that I have not activated it. I installed Spy sweeper and Norton antivirus when I first purchased the computer. When I installed Norton I chose to disable McAphee so they wouldn't give me duplicate messages but this doesn't seem to have worked. Second, I recently installed Norton works. I have run into problems with this. First of all the initial installation created a problem for NAV and I had to uninstall and re-install it. Second when I ran the disc doctor it told me I had to schedule it for the next time I started my computer. When I rebooted, it went into windows scan disc for a long time and then rebooted and went into the same thing etc... eventually it booted up to the normal desktop again and Norton started to do its thing but it came up with the exact same prompt as before. It said I had to schedule the disc doctor for the next time I re-booted the computer. I canceled it because the whole process took close to an hour.

The reason I wanted to run Norton works is because every time I boot my computer it comes up with the prompt "press F11 for recovery" before it boots. I've never understod why it does this? I also frequently cannot shut down by clicking "start", "turn off computer", "shutdown". For some reason it just ignores the comand. Also, I have on several ocasions lost applications all together (Netscape, explorer, and Microsoft Outlook have all on at least one ocasion disappeared from my coputer).

Should I un-install NAW and try the whole proccedure again? Or is there a better program for disc repair on the market. Also, is it possible these programs are causing problems for each other (spy sweeper, Norton and McAphee)? I'd love to hear your opinions. thanks, Debbie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need security/repair advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need security/repair advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Notes...
by John.Wilkinson / October 19, 2006 2:18 PM PDT

* You should actually uninstall McAfee through Add/Remove Programs, not just disable it. I'm somewhat surprised NAV permitted the installation after detecting McAfee.

* Norton System Works includes NAV, so during installation you should customize what components are installed and deselect NAV if you already have it installed. (It occasionally causes problems when attempting to overwrite NAV with NAV, though the uninstall/reinstall usually fixes it.)

* Having to reboot to run Scandisk/Disk Doctor/etc is normal since it may have to repair files that are normally in use by the operating system. However, it shouldn't take that long.

* The "press F11 for Recovery" message is completely normal. That is a reminder that in case you encounter a major problem with Windows you can press F11 during boot in order to launch the Gateway Recovery System. (It's how you repair/reinstall Windows.) Note, however, that some or all of your personal files may be lost in the process so you should have recent backups of anything you cannot afford to lose.

* To troubleshoot the issue with Shut Down not working I suggest clicking here. Make sure you don't skip over anything.

* There are several reasons why you may lose software on your computer, including someone else doing it without your knowledge, a crash before the software finishes installing, software being installed that prevents changes from being made, performing a System Restore, etc. Check in C:\Program Files and tell me if they're listed or not...it may just be the shortcut on your desktop and/or in the Start Menu being deleted, not the program itself.

* I don't recommend using System Works, but reinstalling likely won't solve anything. I'd just avoid using Disk Doctor or using it to tweak system settings. (It can cause more problems than it cures.)

* SpySweeper and Norton are fine together, though I'd finish uninstalling McAfee.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks!
by rbartl / October 20, 2006 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Notes...

Thanks, this is all very helpful. I will work on it this weekend and post Sun. or Mon. about how it is all working. Debbie

Collapse -
MCaFEE AND Norton
by rochagomes / November 4, 2006 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Yes uninstall McAfee. It is activated automatically, once you booted the PC. You probably just did not register it.

If you brought Norton Systemworks after Norton Antivirus, then that is a newer subscription. When I brought Systemworks to replace the trial edition of Norton Antivirus...it never overwrote the registeration data so Norton did not know, I just procured a newer version of the antivrus (Systemworks).

So uninstall Norton antivirus and McAfee. Look for any remeants of Norton AVG. And then installed Systemworks.

Collapse -
RE/MCaFEE AND Norton
by fredcorallo / November 4, 2006 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: MCaFEE AND Norton

try to find a friend that can show you more about or how to tweet your pc as I believe you may need to gain a bit more experience .as i believe if you installed norton in your puter ,still having Mcafee in it ,you need more experience becouse you can't just disable one antivirus ,just by clicking disable .it has to be disable fron the hot-keys which you problable don't know much about

also you should try trojan remover and if you can aford to buy it get it fron this site > http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/details.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?