PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need recommendations for new graphics card.

by spenc938 / August 4, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need recommendations for new graphics card.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need recommendations for new graphics card.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what is your goal?
by linkit / August 4, 2006 12:23 PM PDT

What do you want to do on your computer? What programs and/or games do you want to run?

Collapse -
A few games
by spenc938 / August 4, 2006 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: what is your goal?

I don't game as much as I used to but I still so play a little bit, mostly the GTA series. I also enjoy the unreal tournaments, and heard they will be releasing a new one next year. I would like to be able to run these games at decent settings with good fps. But I lost my job, so I can't go above $100.

Collapse -
If you can go $15 over budget...
by nathanpsz2 / August 4, 2006 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: A few games
Collapse -
by spenc938 / August 4, 2006 3:26 PM PDT

I have to say I am a little bit hesitant to go with anything but geforce. Do you personally have this card? Also, has anybody ever sent in a rebate through newegg? How long do they take? And you were saying this will beat ALL the cards I had?

Collapse -
by spenc938 / August 4, 2006 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm....

Also, what is RAMDAC?

Collapse -
re: hmmm...
by mcallij / August 6, 2006 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm....

I currently have a few rebates in the Newegg pipeline. They're pretty simple to fill out (takes maybe 5 mins.), but you won't see a check for a LONG TIME. They say at least 8 weeks. I'm on about 4 right now, and I just got a confirmation email saying my rebate was recieved last week. So really, you're looking at $45 over your budget immediately. Also, if you're looking at the X850, you need to make sure your power supply has enough power to handle the card, since you will need a direct connection to your power supply. You need at least 350W, and more really won't hurt. And if you're not going to be able to lay down the money for the X850, look toward a 7300GT or a 7600GS. You can get a 7600GS for $15 over your budget, shipping included. You could also look at a GeForce 6600GT. It is the previous generation of GeForce card, but it will run most anything you need it to, and it's under $100. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Looking at something else.
by spenc938 / August 7, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: re: hmmm...
Collapse -
7600GT KO
by mcallij / August 7, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

It has a higher clock speed, so the card will perform better. Plus, the heatsink is quite a bit larger than what most companies use (or the one that is on the CO, for that matter). It covers the RAM, and keeps the whole card MUCH cooler. I speak from experience, my card has the same one.

Collapse -
OK thanks
by spenc938 / August 7, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: 7600GT KO

Ok that is what I'll do. Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?