Phones forum

General discussion

Need recommendation: PDA (or something else) for Peace Corps

by resemmes / October 5, 2006 5:06 AM PDT

I will be going to Senegal with Peace Corps in a few months, and expect to be living in a village with no electricity, running water, etc., and - the hardest of all! - no internet! But I do expect to get into the city for my internet fix every month or so.

So, my question is: I would like to get a pda, or something similar, I dont know what, that I could recharge with a small solar charger, and use mainly for writing emails, blog entries, etc., that I would transfer to computer/internet whenever I get into the city.

All I really need is some sort of word processing ability, nothing fancy, and preferably expandable memory. I have a Sony digital camera that uses Memory Sticks, so if the PDA used those too, that would be great.

Anybody have any ideas? Whenever I try researching online, the product features are always focused on much more fancy stuff that I won't be able to use much in my internet-accessless hut.

Any other suggestions for Peace Corps gear would be appreciated too!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need recommendation: PDA (or something else) for Peace Corps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need recommendation: PDA (or something else) for Peace Corps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a good one...

I must say that's the most unique situational request I've seen. Happy

* I assume you already have a line on a solar charger, but if not I found this one, which looks like it's right up your alley.

* You're pretty much out of luck when it comes to Memory Sticks...that's proprietary Sony technology that's only found in their now obsolete units. The standard is SD but most PocketPCs now also can use CF cards at the same time.

* Since you aren't concerned with WiFi capabilities and playing a lot of games/movies just about any model would do you. You could get the Dell Axim X51 low on sale for $224 or the Dell Axim X51 mid ($299 on sale), or something along the Palm Tungsten E2 ($199) or the Palm TX ($299). The TX and X51 mid both have WiFi for use when you go into town, which may help out, but you can save $70+ by skipping it.

* Of course you could also shop around on Ebay for a used Sony Clie to save even more money and have the ability to use your Memory Sticks on both devices.

* No matter which way you go, I would recommend picking up the Ottorbox 2600 ($50), which is a waterproof, dustproof, creshproof case that can protect your PDA in such an environment. The best part is you can use the PDA while it's in the case, so you only have to take it out to charge/sync it.

* Finally, if you plan on any significant amount of typing be sure to pick up a portable keyboard for it. They can also be had for around $50...Palm makes one for their models while Belkin has a nice model for the PocketPC.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Call us when you get there. Wink

Collapse -
Thanks a lot!
by resemmes / October 5, 2006 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a good one...

Thanks a lot! I will look into all of that!

Collapse -
PDA with keyboard
by rgfitz / October 7, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

I am not sure how you would transfer your files to the internet when you are in the ''city''.

I always recommend what I am familiar with and that is a Jornada 720...they are found on ebay...which uses CF memory cards that are very cheap.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!