I must say that's the most unique situational request I've seen.
* I assume you already have a line on a solar charger, but if not I found this one, which looks like it's right up your alley.
* You're pretty much out of luck when it comes to Memory Sticks...that's proprietary Sony technology that's only found in their now obsolete units. The standard is SD but most PocketPCs now also can use CF cards at the same time.
* Since you aren't concerned with WiFi capabilities and playing a lot of games/movies just about any model would do you. You could get the Dell Axim X51 low on sale for $224 or the Dell Axim X51 mid ($299 on sale), or something along the Palm Tungsten E2 ($199) or the Palm TX ($299). The TX and X51 mid both have WiFi for use when you go into town, which may help out, but you can save $70+ by skipping it.
* Of course you could also shop around on Ebay for a used Sony Clie to save even more money and have the ability to use your Memory Sticks on both devices.
* No matter which way you go, I would recommend picking up the Ottorbox 2600 ($50), which is a waterproof, dustproof, creshproof case that can protect your PDA in such an environment. The best part is you can use the PDA while it's in the case, so you only have to take it out to charge/sync it.
* Finally, if you plan on any significant amount of typing be sure to pick up a portable keyboard for it. They can also be had for around $50...Palm makes one for their models while Belkin has a nice model for the PocketPC.
Hope this helps,
P.S. Call us when you get there.
I will be going to Senegal with Peace Corps in a few months, and expect to be living in a village with no electricity, running water, etc., and - the hardest of all! - no internet! But I do expect to get into the city for my internet fix every month or so.
So, my question is: I would like to get a pda, or something similar, I dont know what, that I could recharge with a small solar charger, and use mainly for writing emails, blog entries, etc., that I would transfer to computer/internet whenever I get into the city.
All I really need is some sort of word processing ability, nothing fancy, and preferably expandable memory. I have a Sony digital camera that uses Memory Sticks, so if the PDA used those too, that would be great.
Anybody have any ideas? Whenever I try researching online, the product features are always focused on much more fancy stuff that I won't be able to use much in my internet-accessless hut.
Any other suggestions for Peace Corps gear would be appreciated too!