Camcorders forum

Question

Need Recommendation from experts

by Sebastian3333 / September 3, 2013 1:37 PM PDT

Hi All,

Newbie here!!! I really need some help choosing the correct camera for a reality show project I will be working on with some friends.

We are going to be making a reality show similar to "Big Brother" and "The Real World." We have a $10,000 camera budget to get

two cameras, preferably the same. The criteria we have for the cameras is that they must shoot in true hd, be easily operated by one

cameraman and most importantly shoot very well in low interior light. The house we are having our contestants stay in does not yet

have extra lights installed so we need to make sure that we can get the best picture quality from our cameras. None of the members

of the project have a cinematography background so we really need recommendations on what to buy. Thanks in advance:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Recommendation from experts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Recommendation from experts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Few rarely BUY such but rent.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 1:40 PM PDT

The problem with CAMCORDERS is that most have 30 minute record limits or overheat when used for too long.

Did you head to Ustream and check out what is there for HD work?
Bob

Collapse -
Bob said...
by boya84 / September 4, 2013 11:12 PM PDT

CAMCORDERS record only for 30 minutes before overheating. That is not true. dSLR type cameras designed to cpature still images that happen to capture video as a "convenience feature" might, but not camcorders...

If your plan is to be like "Big Brother" or "Real World", then your best bet is to use what they use... High end security cameras with Pan/Tilt/Zoom (PTZ) remote controls and possibly infrared/night vision capabilities (these cameras generally have no audio capabilities). Pelco has been around for a while, Sony and others mak high definition security cameras used in studios that are good, but because they are designed for studio use, their low light behavior is not so good - studios always have good lighting. Between the cameras, cabling, PTZ controller and the recording devices, you may not have budgeted enough... and you have not yet gotten to the audio (mostly wireless lavalieres, but also some stationary mics in the individual rooms that all connect back to an audio board and multitrack audio recording system (so one audio track at a time can be used for a single video feed) - One mic per board channel per recorded audio track). When edited, the audio is synchronized with the video... There are also the "cut in" interviews where a traditional camera or camcorder is used (not the security cameras).

http://www.pelco.com/sites/global/en/products/camera-solutions/spectra-iv.page

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-broadcastcamerapantiltzoom/

Camcorders will have challenges working 24x7. Not enough memory unless the video feed goes back to a control room somewhere (where the single camera person is controlling things). If you must use a camcorder, then you need to have one with a LANC. Add in the remotely controlled pan/tilt motor and cabling for all this. I do not suggest this route at all.

There are many other examples... this is just a start. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
Yes, you're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 5:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob said...

I was mixing up my earlier chat about a DSLR. But 24x7 operation may still be a problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PS. There are folk that do this work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 1:42 PM PDT

And it varies with what city you're in. Free advice? Yes, go to your local college and chat with the right department head for possible free student help and the prof usually pitches in.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
CCTV
by Terfyn / September 5, 2013 8:11 PM PDT

have you considered a CCTV security system? Multiple cameras attached to a recorder. Look at Radio Shack or Maplins (UK)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?