Cameras forum

General discussion

Need recommendation for pretty decent pix AND video?

Hi,

I'm not terribly experienced using digital cameras. We bought our Epson 3100Z when our son was born back in 2001, but although it has served us well, it died this week. After consulting Epson and their local authorized repair center, the cost to fix the camera (quoted at almost $300) would be more than I'm willing to spend on an older camera, with no warranty.

So, now I'm in the market for a new digicam.

I would like a camera that's user friendly, has a decent zoom (the zoom on the 3100Z was ok, but I'd like something better) takes good quality photos (mostly family stuff, but closeups of flowers, etc too), and takes good video too.....all for under $500. The Epson was a 3.3 MP, and I'm looking for something higher than that, but again, with good pix quality AND good video quality, all under $500.

I don't want much, do I? LOL.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need recommendation for pretty decent pix AND video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need recommendation for pretty decent pix AND video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Decent pix and video.

In reply to: Need recommendation for pretty decent pix AND video?

For $500 and under.....

Sounded like a simple task......

Not so.......

The problem is the video.

I assumed you would want a camera with manual controls since the Epson 3100 had such nice things as:
Aperture priority
Shutter priority
Manual focus
etc.

That led to a lot of nice cameras but cameras in that class have not put much effort into video. They have specifications like 640x480 at 15fps (frames per second) or just 320x240 at higher frame rates.

I found only one camera that meets you desires:

The Fujifilm E550 - 640x480/30fps video and the camera sells for just under $300.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilme550/

Now for $525, there is the Sony V3.
A very nice prize indeed.

And if you can wait until the end of June, the Canon S2-IS will be selling for $500. This will be the hot camera for people who want a 12X optical zoom. It is supposed to be fast, fast, fast. In addition to the 640x480/30 video, you can take full size photos at 2.4 frames per second. Just hold down the shutter button and it will continue to capture until you run out of memory. For shooting action....it will be hard to beat.

Collapse -
Suggestions for a camera to capture decent pix and video

In reply to: Decent pix and video.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, I can't really wait until the end of June. We just moved to Colorado (after being stationed overseas for several years), and besides wanting to take pix of the incredible scenery and some local events taking place in the next few weeks, we also have family coming to visit the second week of June. It's killing me right now not to have my digicam, and I certainly don't want to be without one when our family is here. We haven't seen them for quite a while.

I do appreciate the ideas, and I'll check into the ones you suggest. Anyone else?

Collapse -
Decent pix and video

In reply to: Need recommendation for pretty decent pix AND video?

I was hoping for more suggestions.....anyone? Appreciate the help, thanks.

Collapse -
Decent pix

In reply to: Decent pix and video

The canon S2IS is now available at circuit city stores and would be exactly whhat you are looking for. Bought mine on saturday.Also sony DSC-H1

Collapse -
Canon S2-IS

In reply to: Decent pix

A few days ago I wrote to Canon asking for a release date on the Canon S2-IS and they wrote back saying it wouldn't be available until mid-June. So I'm surprised that you were able to get one this weekend at Circuit City. But that's good news for me, if I can get one where I am.

May I ask if you got it from CC online, or did you walk into your local CC and buy it there? Also, where do you live (I'm in Co Springs, CO) and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Canon S2-IS again

In reply to: Canon S2-IS

I've called around today and no one seems to have them in store yet....matter of fact, a few of the shops said that Canon has told them the camera won't be released until next month, same as I was told by Canon. The Circuit City here won't be open for another 30 mins, so I don't know what they'll say.

I'm glad you were able to get one, though. Did you preorder yours, or were you able to just walk in and get it on the spot? Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Collapse -
RE: Canon S2-IS again

In reply to: Canon S2-IS again

I just called my local Circuit City, and I'm happy to report that they do, indeed, have the Canon S2-IS. I'm on my way to the store shortly, woo hoo.

Apparently they are the only company, or one of very few, that the camera has been released to. Everyone else I called said they aren't getting them until next month.

It'll be great to have the camera when our family visits in a few weeks. Although I know I'll be using it well before then, lol.

Collapse -
Canon S2IS

In reply to: Canon S2-IS

I live in Virginia. Bought mine at the local store for $499, seems like most CC stores are getting three cameras (1 for display model) if you go to DPREVIEW .com and the canon talk forum, you will find a lot of sample shots and info. the cameras started coming out last Thursday in Canada.

Collapse -
Got mine today

In reply to: Canon S2IS

My local CC had only three of them, and I also paid $499. Just got home, and I'm going to open mine up after dinner. Can't wait to see if the Canon S2-IS is as good as the hype, but it had all the specs I wanted, so I doubt if I'll be disappointed (I'm only a beginner, anyway).

Thanks for the heads up so I could get one!

Collapse -
Canon S2 IS

In reply to: Got mine today

Let us know what you think! I'm going to check it out tonight, I might be coming home with one myslef!

Collapse -
Canon S2 IS

In reply to: Canon S2 IS

Where can I read a review about image quality?

Collapse -
Canon S2 SI review

In reply to: Canon S2 IS

Go to www.dcresource.com and read Jeff's review of this model. He was very pleased with image quality.

Collapse -
Canon S2 SI review

In reply to: Canon S2 SI review

Tks for the info, I'm reading it right now, if you know another review, just let me know
TKS again
Do you think a good idea to sell my Canon S45 and get the S2 ? I'm very glad with the image quality of the S45.

Collapse -
S45 or S2 SI

In reply to: Canon S2 SI review

I cannot help you there. I do not own either camera. I have a Fuji F10 for a P&S pocket camera and the Olympus C-7070 for a wide lens w/ manual controls, hotshoe, etc. Both are great cameras and I am very happy with them.

I guess you have to decide why you would want to sell your S45 in favor of the S2. If you are happy w/ image quality on the S45 why bother to spend all that $$$ for the S2, unless you will have a definite need for it. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.