TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

need receiver for 175 watts continuous 700 watts peak spkrs

I have two Electro Voice Sx80 Series Speakers. They are two-way 8-inch system with 175 watts continuous, 700 watts peak power handling. I need a simple receiver but don't understand what power requirements I am looking for.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need receiver for 175 watts continuous 700 watts peak spkrs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need receiver for 175 watts continuous 700 watts peak spkrs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
those speakers are very easy to drive

In reply to: need receiver for 175 watts continuous 700 watts peak spkrs

just education's sake, the important things to know are

-db levels wished for. One article states "A solo grand piano can reach peak levels of 109 dB SPL, a full orchestra and chorus in a concert hall will measure 106 dB, and a rock group, 120 dB SPL". OTOH, home theater is even more demanding of amplifiers.

-distance of listener from speakers (spl decreases exponentially with distance

-besides speaker sensitivity and min impedance.

your speakers are quite sensitive, and have very easy impedance. you can run them with anything I bet, outside of some other factors, if extreme or out of the ordinary, listed above.

Collapse -
Don't think the numbers indicate some kind of horsepower

In reply to: need receiver for 175 watts continuous 700 watts peak spkrs

race. That number info only indicates the speakers are designed to handle up to 175 watts continually & up to 700 watts for those occasional peaks.

Ordinary users in ordinary situations don't require exceptionally powerful amplification.

Yes, jostenmeat mentions some familiar sound pressure levels, measured as dBs. Volume above a sustained 110 dB is recognized as territory which damages hearing.

And common sense leads you to know there is an important relationship for solund depending how far you are from the source. Yes, it is exponentially inverse.

Sure, some factors could alter the amount of power you would feel appropriate, like trying to fill a large auditorium with sound as opposed to more "normal" home size rooms.

My opinion is that your needs are not particularly high, so many a receiver would suffice. I also have an opinion that for personal sound enjoyment, selecting speakers is where most aparent differences are because both no speakers are perfect & the well known brands & models have their own sound character. So, my emphasis is on the speakers that you will live with for a long time.

I started out with relatively modest tastes & surely a modest budget. Like most of my ilk I perhaps didn't do the best job of surveying the market to select the most appropriate speakers from the git go. Because I have learned, the tastes got intrigued with what seemed exotic to me at the time. Actual mature judgment of speakers took longer & I have had a history of a succession of primary speakers over the years.

At my age, I now have achieved getting B&W speakers which interested me for years. Rather expensive, but I do appreciate so as a minor but old audiophile. Point is that young folks often get interested up front in what receiver to get (when I consider that somewhat backwards.) They may wind up overbuying a receiver & that in turn compromises the budget for the speakers.

The last few years I have had & am totally satisfied with Denon receivers, but in no way would I represent that someone should definitely have just those. The past couple years have seen great notice of Onkyo introducing up to date connectivity & features establishing new benchmarks for value. C/NET rated them favorably. I might note they don't rate the Onkyo quite as high as Denon, with Denon getting the nod for slightly higher but subtle sound & also for increased reliability.

The Onkyo TX-RS 605 (or soon to be replaced by a new 606 model) has been great value. It will do ordinary users well indeed. Some speakers have impedance that starts lower than easy to operate 8 ohm ones & slide even lower, which puts extra pressure on the amp to deliver sufficient power. Those, known as difficult loads are prime candidates to consider more elaborate power sources with more watts per channel & much higher maximum current capabilities.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.