General discussion

Need Personal Finance Program for Mac

I see that Quicken is available for Mac, but have read horrid reviews about it. Are there any alternatives someone can recommend?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need Personal Finance Program for Mac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need Personal Finance Program for Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most of the items I read were ..

Not outright failures but disagreements over how it should work.

Have you used it?

Isn't there a trial you can install and use?

Bob

- Collapse -
Quicken, or what

The only one that I have experience with is Quicken for Mac.
I have been using it since version 1 for the Mac and have had no major problems with it.
MYOB makes financial software but it is directed at running a Business.
Hopefully you are not confusing Quicken with QuickBooks.
Where did you read these "horrid" reviews?

P

- Collapse -
quicken reviews and problems

I have also used quicken for years and have been mostly happy. But I have spent time the last few days on the Quicken/Mac discussion forum and there are lots of unhappy people - mostly because Intuit's support is so poor, both online and by telephone (awful).

Have you, by any chance, ever spent the time to figure out the "Adjust Positioning" page for check printing preferences? For the first time my checks are printing way high and far right, which means that they won't work for window envelopes. It is such a small but frustrating problem. I can't find any guidelines to figure out the adjustment. One Quicken tech person just said it's trial and error - but even than hasn't been very successful.

I am working on Q-2006 with HP laser printer. I can't remember if this problem started with Q2006 or with the printer - I actually think both predate the problem.

And a PS to your engineers - when I click on some of the responses - like R. Profitt's on this track - I get thrown back to the sign in page and it's quite slow. Sorry, words that engineers are loathe to hear...

- Collapse -
Check printing is a problem.

I just switched from a PC and converting Quicken files to use on the Mac version of Quicken was (still is) a major headache. While most transactions converted, balances were way off (my checking account showed I had bounced about $40,000 in checks-oy, the fees if that were true.)

My point is one of agreement with you on the check printing function. I simply cannot (after numerous attempts) get the entries to line up with the rather commonplace, 3 checks to the page, stubs on the left, check forms I've already printed out (leftover or created with my Windows-based check printing program.)

BTW-I'm looking for a check printing (creating) program for Mac. What are you using?

Thanks

- Collapse -
check printing software

boy oh boy, I also am having a hard time finding, if anything, that will allow me to print checks from any type of software.

- Collapse -
It is Quicken

Yes, I have been looking at Quicken (not Quickbooks) for Mac. The majority of reviews I've read for Quicken 2006 (CNet, Amazon, other sites) seem to suggest there are some problems with the latest version, so I was curious if there were any alternatives.

- Collapse -
Let's note a problem?

Even the Windows version was noted to have changed about how download of data from various web sites has changed. If you dive into the issue a little deeper, you may agree that it's not a bug but a security issue where the web sites have blocked such.

Is this the issue you are asking about?

Bob

- Collapse -
Possible Replacemnet

I recently switched to MAC and had used Quicken for years. The trial version that came with the software was terrible. It required Force Quit constantly and became more trouble than it was worth so I deleted it from the system. I did fine a program called Checkbook 1.6.2 for $17.95 that does all that I needed and it does most Quicken task. The only thing it does not do is download transactions from the bank, which I never did anyway. I prefer to make my entries daily. You can download a trial version of Checkbook to see if it will answer your needs.

Jim

- Collapse -
Yes, I've heard the same horror stories on Quicken for Mac

I have not actually tried Quicken for Mac, though I did go to Intuit's store to find that it is prohibitively expensive.

And as I trolled the web I, too, heard really nasty ugly stories about it. So I agree...stay away from Quicken for Mac

CNET Forums

Forum Info