Computer Help forum

General discussion

need pc upgrade advice (power supply)

by IXRyan347XI / December 31, 2010 4:24 AM PST

I am upgrading my computer in the next couple weeks. Now for the most part I already know what I want, but I am not sure if I need to upgrade my power supply or not. Right now I am using a 500w power supply. So I am going to list the current and future specs for my computer and would appreciate any and all advice, even if it doesnt regard the power supply.

Current Specs:
Windows xp
intel quad core 2.4 ghz (Q6600 I think)
2 gb DDR2 ram
Nvidia 9500 GT with 1 gb memory
500 gb hard drive
lynksis wireless N adapter

Future changes:
Windows 7
8 gb DDR3 (maybe 16gb in the future)
new motherboard (old one is on verge of death)
a new touch screen temperature sensor
and adding a 2nd nvidia 9500 GT (a friend gave me his spare, so why not?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need pc upgrade advice (power supply)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need pc upgrade advice (power supply)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should start by looking up the minimum watts and AMPs
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2010 4:47 AM PST

for the video cards you plan to install. Then go to a shop like Newegg.com to see what's available in that range and what the buyers say about them. Then decide where to go from there. Whatever you do ....don't skimp on your PSU.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I'll vote no.
by Bob__B / December 31, 2010 5:05 AM PST

The 9500gt is a 50w card.

I suspect you've got enough head room for that.

Winging it.
If your going to run parallel mode with two vid cards I think they need to be matched.
Taking a 9500 from vendor "a" and coupling it to a 9500 from vendor "b" might not give you matched cards.

Collapse -
by IXRyan347XI / December 31, 2010 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: I'll vote no.

hmmm... thats a good point bob. Ill have to double check that. I just dont know how much of the wattage my PC was using before so I really have no idea what it is going to use when I upgrade, except that it will be more. Some friends suggested I might want to upgrade the power supply but I dont think I really need to...

Collapse -
For planning or build purposes there are system wattage
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2010 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: reply

calculators everywhere including Newegg.com....just use your favorite search engine to find one you like. None include expansion so if you're planning to expand the system or use the PSU in a more robust system, you need to take that into account too.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Let's compare notes. I have the hp d4999t
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 6:48 AM PST

It's stock PSU is all of 350 Watts and I wanted to toss in an OK video card. I used a P3 Watt Meter (actually another model but most folk have the P3) and here's the results.

With the HP d4999t with 4GB RAM, Zotec fanless GT240 PCIe 1GB Video card, one HDD, 2 DVDRW drives.

Idle = just under 100 Watts.
Gaming = about 120 Watts.

Your 9500 GT is less Watts from what I can tell so unless you've added a lot more drives or more power hungry parts you may be fine.

However I doubt a second 9500 is worth doing but what a way to learn but by doing!
Bob

Collapse -
calculator
by IXRyan347XI / December 31, 2010 7:32 AM PST

can I get a link for one of these calculators? what are they officially called? "Pc wattage usage calcs"?

Collapse -
I didn't use a calculator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: calculator
Collapse -
at lowes/home depot?
by IXRyan347XI / January 2, 2011 2:04 AM PST

Do you think lowes or home depot would carry one of those power usage monitors?

Collapse -
voltage to watts formula?
by IXRyan347XI / January 2, 2011 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Yup, See link.

awesome I'm totally going to get one of those tomorrow. Now does anyone know the formula for converting volts into watts? Im trying to figure out how much more power the DDR3 will use and I can only find voltage ratings.

Collapse -
That's Ohm's Law
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 2:16 AM PST
Collapse -
by IXRyan347XI / January 2, 2011 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: That's Ohm's Law

is there anyway to find out how many amps my system is using without an ohm meter? Literally all I know is how many watts my power supply supplies and how many volts the memory stick will use.

Collapse -
For only a buck or two more ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 2, 2011 6:08 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?