General discussion

Need Opinions/Advice On Laptop Hardware

Hello everyone. I plan to purchase a laptop in the near future that i plan to use for gaming and designing stuff in autocad (2d and 3d). The laptop that i plan to get is the Asus VX7.
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-vx7a1-lamborghini-p-3044.html?wconfigure=yes
The hardware that i need advice on are the CPU and the RAM. From my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong, the more GHz a CPU has the faster/better it performs. Though i'm not entirely sure how much better. The other thing i dont completely understand is the CPU cache. Here are the choices i have for this laptop (the + at the end is additional cost):

2nd Generation Intel

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need Opinions/Advice On Laptop Hardware
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need Opinions/Advice On Laptop Hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Too many misconceptions.

More GHz is not more speed. There are too many articles why this is so. A fine example I use is to take the fastest CPU we can find then put a slow HDD on it.

This example is just one where we write "It's the package or the entire machine that matters."

Finally we have your questions. Good ones but if the maker and seller of these machines won't answer your questions then why are you considering a purchase from them?
Bob

- Collapse -
Havent asked them anything..

This is the first place i've posted in, all im asking for is clarification and advice. One of my friends owns an Asus G73 and its a great machine. The VX7 is going to be even greater, or so i imagine. So nothing has actually been clarified for me..can you try to explain to me the differences between the choices and what exactly you meant by your reply?

- Collapse -
I meant TWO things.

1. GHz is not how to measure a system's speed.

2. If a maker or seller will not talk to you about your needs or concerns, shop elsewhere.

Hope this clears this up.
Bob

CNET Forums