Desktops forum

General discussion

Need opinion on building cheap pc

by ninjasammie / August 12, 2010 10:54 PM PDT

I'm trying to build a pc that is cheap but will be able to run everyday tasks like watch videos, surf the internet and sometimes play games (not the highest priority). Im trying to keep it in a budget of 600 dollars but it can go over (preferably stay under but if its a necessary component then ill just deal with eating cup noodle for a bit.)
My current plan is:

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H​ Micro ATX Motherboard

AMD AthlonIIX2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2x1MB L2Cache SocketAM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor-Retail ADX250OCGQBOX

Cooler Master Elite 341 m-ATX Mini Tower Case Black - (RC-341C-KKN1-G​P)

Western Digital 250 GB SATA2 7200rpm 8 MB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD2500AAJS (Caviar Blue)

PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit DDR2 667 MHz PC2-5300 Desktop DIMM Memory Modules MD2048KD2-667

EVGA e-GeForce 9500 GT 512 MB DDR2 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card 512-P3-N954-TR

Hercules Micro ATX (Matx) 450 Watt Power Supply

Samsung Internal Half Height DVD-W Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe (Black)

Im not sure if this will even run let alone run fast. i want to know if the parts i chose are sufficient enough to run what i want it to, and if so will it run windows 7 and if not what do i need to do to improve it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need opinion on building cheap pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need opinion on building cheap pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check then buy for build
by Willy / August 12, 2010 11:49 PM PDT

You want cheap, then cost will be your driving factor. The end result is based on cost alone no matter what you choose. Sometimes its better to start with what you really need in results and then find what fits that. I find far too often those systems build on cost alone will cause issues if not now, will later in some form or fashion. In other words, even if it runs well, it may not for long.

If all the components you posted work together via the specs, then buy and build well. I do strongly advice you consider your cooling options be quite capable.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Opinion
by samkh / August 13, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

Upgrade CPU to Phenom II X2, any model, depending what you can afford
Upgrade DIMMs to PC2-6400 for almost same price
Upgrade GPU to 40nm, ie. 200-series

btw there are several choices of free/upgd mobos bundled with CPUs right now at microcenter.com

Collapse -
Is zero dollars an option here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 1:46 AM PDT

I'm seeing Pentium 4 machines aplenty and even the occasional dual core on FREECYCLE (see google) and on the free areas of Craigslist. If the budget is that tight, is free an option?
Bob

Collapse -
I cant decide
by ninjasammie / August 14, 2010 11:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
On second thoughts, save hassle and buy
by samkh / August 15, 2010 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I cant decide
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.