Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Need Night Vision Camcorder to record self Sleep Study

I am conducting a self experiment to record my Sleep Apnea, Cpap usage, various techniques, etc... and need to purchase a Camcorder that can record in very low light conditions.

Preferably, this would have a good mic to pick up noises associated with the apnea and snoring as well.

Also, I intend to upload it to a computer for future usage; if possible, I would like to do this directly, but otherwise, I understand that it could be done with software typcially include with modern camcorders by using included cables for usb or firewire.

I am looking at the sony models, such as dcr-sr 45-85 versions for their night shot technology as well as reasonable price and quality.

Does anyone have any experience in using these models in terms of how low a light (rate at 6-8 lux) you can record with reasonable quality?

Also, it is important to be able to create a brief history/video represenatation of what happens with/without the cpap mask and make the necessary graphical additions or overlays. I should mention that I am a complete NOVICE in terms of the usage of digital media and their associated software. So, this is a consideration.

Should I instead use something like Camtasia to create the mixed information, synched, graphical clips of the apnea examples?

Any and all considerations, advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks. This is very important to me to be able to adequately measure, record and then teach about this condition.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Night Vision Camcorder to record self Sleep Study
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Night Vision Camcorder to record self Sleep Study
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nightshot?

In reply to: Need Night Vision Camcorder to record self Sleep Study

the 2008 sonys are the last sonys that have nightvision across the board. this creates the popular greenish look youve probably seen. i would turn off the cams ir light and use a separate source which is more powerful. youll also probably want to use an external mic, which no standard def sonys support

you could also get a panasonic with the magic lux, that becomes ir sensitive with the slow shutter

no matter what you do, with the lights low or off and using nightshot, the video will be very grainly

Collapse -
How about this? a HD-SDI night vision camcorder

In reply to: Need Night Vision Camcorder to record self Sleep Study

check here: http://www.bqlnv.com/ProdDetail_63_844.html
"it is the world's first self-developed professional HD night vision camcorder" according to what wrote on this page.
I see pictures taken by this camcorder in total darkness, They are very nice. This camcorder will meet your needs.
You are welcome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.