PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need new video card...which one should I use.

by Scarball / March 26, 2005 11:46 AM PST

I have a Hewlett Packard desktop pc a465W and can't run the new games on my VIA/S3G video card. I want to upgrade but not sure which one to use. I have a 2 gig harddrive with hardly nothing on the memory. I have over 128 megs of ram. and still can't play newer games. One game requires an AGP card with hardware transform and lighting and I don't have a clue what that means. Can somebody steer me in the right direction. Don't have alot of money to spend but would like to upgrade to at least play the ones I have.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new video card...which one should I use.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new video card...which one should I use.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 GB hard drive???
by AuBrEy Online / March 26, 2005 11:56 AM PST

Hmm to be honest I think it's better getting a new PC? I don't know what games you're planning on playing I think you'll need more RAM (min 256) and in answer to your video card PCI ones are cheap now a days. Do you live in the UK? I'd recommend www.overclockers.co.uk to buy from as I've never had a problem from them? You might wanna check out on this.....

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7591-0.html?forumID=26&threadID=94679&messageID=1072017

I had a simier disscussion with someone called Ozos whos help my well. Happy

I think the ATi 9225 and Nvidia 5200 are both good cards and come in PCI flavors.

Collapse -
ok, your machine is ancient
by ozos / March 26, 2005 12:07 PM PST

alright
128MB is how much memory most gfx cards have...

a 2GB HDD is ok as long as your using an OS like 98SE

large games like UT2004 won't install (6GB for the game)

i'd suggest the following:

buy a 40GB HDD
buy 512MB of RAM
if you have AGP get a 9600Pro
if you have PCI get a 9250

both of those cards are Radeon gfx, avlialbe at www.newegg.com

Collapse -
The HP a465W is not an ancient machine
by John Robie / March 27, 2005 11:35 AM PST

Your statement of "...2 gig harddrive with hardly nothing on the memory. I have over 128 megs of ram." is confusing and throwing people off.

The Hewlett Packard a465w is a fairly modern PC introduced in December 2003:

AMD Athlon (T) XP3000+ 2.16GHz Socket A, 512KB L2cache.
512GB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM hard drive, and bells/whistles like 7-1 card reader, burner, IEEE 1394, etc...

Comes with integrated graphics, but has a AGP slot for an 8x/4x video card. (No PCI-Express graphics)

Suggest the Nvidia GeForce 6600 AGP 8x 128 MB $122 or if you can afford the better GeForce 6600XT AGP 8x, for $184

Collapse -
whoa, thanks john
by ozos / March 27, 2005 1:59 PM PST

also, it's not 512GB

i'd like to see a machine (a single machine, not a cluster) with .5 TB of physical RAM

Collapse -
That would be something...lol
by John Robie / March 27, 2005 3:09 PM PST
In reply to: whoa, thanks john

My old stiff fingers sometimes don't hit the right keys anymore. My left fingers seem to do better than the right, so hit the G with the left instead of the M with the right.

Collapse -
oh
by ozos / March 28, 2005 3:40 AM PST

heh, still, i'd love a 512GB (single stick plz) of RAM, i could just not upgrade for like...probably the rest of my natural life (and that of my children)

but damn would that thing be expensive

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.