Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need new video card

by DMB14 / February 23, 2005 6:05 AM PST

I have a Sony Vaio V505 with a 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics chip, which only supports DirectX 8.1 (I think?). I would like to replace it with something that supports DirectX 9.0 and has at least 64 MB of memory.

Any suggestions on what to buy/where to buy it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not possible.
by Ryan T / February 23, 2005 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Need new video card

I can say this safely for two reasons.

1. Most laptop video cards are not user-upgradeable. Even if you can get the parts (in excess of $300 usually), installing is fraught with disaster.

2. Laptops in that milieu use the ATI Radeon 9000 and 9200, which can be gotten sometimes in 64mb, but does not support DX9.

Collapse -
Dammit
by DMB14 / February 23, 2005 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Not possible.

That's disappointing...

What if I had one professionally installed?

Collapse -
I had a similar question...
by madhukar81 / February 23, 2005 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Dammit
Collapse -
No proffessional can do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: Dammit

If you really need directx 9, it may be possible. Obtain the latest video driver from Sony and run the directx update.

But the warning here is this. If you are trying to run today's GAMES, then stop now and save your efforts since it won't help run then at top speed.

Also, you didn't tell what was driving this need.

Bob

Collapse -
Games
by DMB14 / February 23, 2005 11:41 AM PST

I was hoping to play some games on it, but that's not the main reason I bought it. I'll survive...

I don't understand why this can't be done. The graphics card is separate from the motherboard on this laptop. I assumed that meant it could be replaced.

Oh well. Maybe I'll sell it and buy something that can handle some gaming.

Collapse -
Then do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Games

See what Sony offers for the replacement cards and get one.

When I looked up that laptop, the Sony description didn't tell that you could remove a video card. Just that the video has such and such a chip and dedicated RAM. The video looked as if it was just like most laptops. Soldered chips to the motherboard...

Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by DMB14 / February 23, 2005 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Then do this.

Alright.

While doing some research on the laptop, I read somewhere that the card was removeable. I hope that is correct.

Collapse -
Help us out....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

I must have not read that one. When you dive in and make posts, supply reference web pages so the forum members can quickly find out what your machine make/model is and see what was written.

Sometimes a reviewer will screw up and write "dedicated video card" which has lead to someone demanding the video section is changable. Those words were not exactly correct. "Dedicated video system" or "RAM" would be more precise.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't find it
by DMB14 / February 24, 2005 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Help us out....

I can't find the site where I read that. Maybe it was right, maybe it was wrong. Either way, I got the laptop for like a tenth of the retail price, so I'm happy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!