General discussion

Need new point and shoot with slr speed

hi!
I need a new point and shoot with low shutter lag, compact, tough, and a decent zoom.

Also are the videos shot with the flip HD good enough to capture family memories or should we just fork over the money on a HD camcorder.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need new point and shoot with slr speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need new point and shoot with slr speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Flip or Camcorder

It looks like no one wants to tackle this question on the Digital Camera Forum.

I suggest you post your question on the Camcorders Forum.

Here is a link to the Camcorders Forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/camcorders-forum/

- Collapse -
compact point and shoot with slr speed

You're right sorry

Do you have any suggestions for the camera?

Thanks again!

- Collapse -
some concern

What do you find "decent zoom" and how tough are we talking, like dropping down into some rocks tough?

- Collapse -
compact point and shoot with slr speed

tough enough to be dropped or abused by my crazy 1 year old and enough zoom in to faces of players on the field from the stands

- Collapse -
they don't make one

There currently is no mega-zoom camera(which is what you'd need for they type of shots you want) that the ability to take drops and made to still work. There are tough cameras but they are usually only 3x zoom. Also, once you get up into the megazoom category, you usually give up some speed in the shutter lag. The only cameras with DSLR speed are DSLRs.

CNET Forums