Desktops forum

General discussion

Need new Mini PSU...

by atiu4eva / April 7, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

Hey,
I recently purchased Shuttle xPC SD36GSM Barebone system. It only comes with a 250watt Powersupply and Shuttle only offers a 300Watt PSU to purchase. I want to b able to run some decent hardware in this small system because I plan it to be my new Main PC for gaming and everything else.
SO my question for you is:
Is there any third party/other company that offers Power supplys at least 400Watts that can fit this system?
I hope to run a Pentium D Presler 3.4Ghz, XFX 7900GT 520/1.5Ghz, 2Gb DDR2 Ram, and the norm like DVD burner etc. So does anyone know any third parties that offer PSU's that fit this case?

Or is there such thing as external Powersupplies for these shuttle PC's?

If you can answer one or all of these questions please do and thankyou very much in advance!

Regards,
ANDREW GEORGE

--------------------------------
..::Te Atua Mou'e::..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new Mini PSU...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new Mini PSU...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's One
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Need new Mini PSU...

Athena Power 450W MicroATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104124
Unfortunately, this looks like it is quite a gamble. Plenty of people had problems getting it to work correctly, or recieved it dead.

That is the only one I could find. Most MicroATX power supplies are very low capacity. What you might have to do is take a normal ATX supply, and do some creative modding to attach it outside your case.

Collapse -
Alright...
by ngatiaruan.prince / April 8, 2006 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's One

Ok thanks for the help, I will probably get one of my friends to mod the PSU, or mighht purchase the new egg one. I hav an extra 450W psu around here so I will have to see. Thankyou for the help Scott.

Collapse -
Don't run an Intel chip...
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright...

...in an SFF case. The crappy, small HP case might have been the cause of death for my P4. So now I'm paying for a new case, AMD CPU and motherboard, and maybe a new graphics card. Get an Athlon 64 X2 or just a bigger case; you won't regret it.

Collapse -
I'm lookin at AMD models I should have purchased now...
by ngatiaruan.prince / April 8, 2006 5:33 PM PDT

LOL

Collapse -
oopss...
by atiu4eva / April 8, 2006 5:34 PM PDT

Oops that was my bros account. He did not log off. Ah sorry bout that. I am lookinin at AMD cases now.

Collapse -
No such thing as...
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: oopss...
Collapse -
He's right...
by Tien-Avenger / April 9, 2006 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: No such thing as...

I think your 'mini' is nothing more then a MicroATX. in that case any powersupply will do. Since it's a micro go for something modular (meaning you choose the cables you need while the others stay in the box and collect dust) to increase airflow.

Here i'll even recommend one, somehow i have a feeling you're going to ask if any of them are AMD compatible...

actually never mind newegg only has one PSU for a MicroATX...and it's only 200w

Build a new computer and make it a full tower

Collapse -
Not a full tower...
by nathanpsz2 / April 9, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: He's right...

...a mid tower will do.

Collapse -
wont anyone think of the...
by Tien-Avenger / April 9, 2006 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a full tower...

Airflow think of the air flow
and all that empty space for future expansions that'll easily get outdated the moment they're installed

okay you're right mid tower will do

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.