Computer Newbies forum

Question

Need New Laptop - Please Help Me Choose

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop computer and I've done my research but I'm still not sure about what my final pick should be. Here is what I'm looking for:

1)Amazing sound quality
2)High Definition
3)Great Memory
4)Large screen
5)Fast

I generally use my computer for the internet only as I stream a lot of television on it - hence the need for great sound, big screen, and awesome clarity.

So tell me, if money were not an issue for you and you wanted the best of the best, what would you choose? Is a gaming computer like the Samsung Gamer my best option or should I go with something more streamlined like the HP Envy? I'm not terribly interested in a Mac because I hear the sound quality isn't that great but I suppose I can be convinced otherwise.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - thanks so much in advance for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need New Laptop - Please Help Me Choose
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need New Laptop - Please Help Me Choose
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: best laptop

In reply to: Need New Laptop - Please Help Me Choose

1. The sound quality of laptops isn't so very good. Much better to connect it to external speakers, your HiFi or your sound system. Even good headphones give better sound. So better compare in the shop.
2. Yep. The definition must not be lower than the resolution of the TV programs you stream. But not higher either or you will get conversion. But you didn't tell those. Please realise that for streaming HDTV in full quality you need a FAST broadband connection.
3. You don't need much memory to stream TV. I'd go cheap here: 2 GB
4. The largest screens on laptops are 17". That's only acceptable if you sit right in front of it. If you want to view a movie on a large screen, connect it to your 40" or 50" TV. Of course, the quality of the screen is an important factor here. Try before you buy.
5. The CPU and graphics should be fast enough to process the HDTV signal. That excludes a netbook. Better check in the shop if all is fine.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Most suitable Laptop

Hello tcev

As I see that you need to I stream television a lot of HP ENVY has no match. It has a great display for viewing HD quality Television. It is fast and an excellent machine. You can also have a look at cheaper Toshiba Satellite U845W, its aspect ratio is specially designed for those who love to view movies and television a lot on Laptops.

Collapse -
Answer
New Laptop

You sound like the perfect person for the new Macbook Pro. Apple's new Macbook let's let you know that it is not only the display your paying for, with the low-end15.4 inch MacBook Pro 2012 with Retina Display when compared with the low-end15.4 inch MacBook Pro 2012 with typical display you get:

3ghz i7 processor (similar)

8 gb RAM (2012 edition) in comparison to 4 gb RAM (2011 edition)

256 gb Solid State Drive (2012 edition) in comparison to 500 gb Serial ATA Drive (2011 edition)

Lets just say for a high end laptop it is pretty impressive!

Collapse -
Have you read anything like this?

In reply to: New Laptop

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

It appears many folk overbuy but that's good for the industry.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.