Storage forum

General discussion

Need new HD advice. PC/Mac & USB/FWire/IDE issues

Hello-

Sorry for the dual post of this topic, but I accidently posted the first time before I edited my subject.

I have an IBM Deskstar 120GXP ATA100/IDE drive that is defective. I can still access the partitions which contain my data, and I would like to transfer it all to a new drive. Here's the quandry:

I plan to by a Powerbook G4 very soon and I would like to use the new drive as a file server on a wireless network. I need to connect the new drive to my PC (PIII 500 MHz Dell Dimesion XPS T 5 years old) in order to get the data from the IDE drive, but I would like the new drive to have firewire and/or USB 2.0 capability as well.

-The new drive will most likely be 80GB. I would have no problem purchasing the drive and case separately, but I don't know which drives/cases I should consider or where I can purchase them.
-Do I have to get a 3.5'' drive if I want to connect to the ATA card on the PC or are there other options?
-On the backside, what do I need to consider when I'm formatting the drive, since I plan to use it over a network with both PCs and Macs?
-Will I need to install an OS (most likely winxp) on the drive to have it accessible on the network, or are there wireless routers which it can plug directly into without an OS?

Thanks for helping!

gman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new HD advice. PC/Mac & USB/FWire/IDE issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new HD advice. PC/Mac & USB/FWire/IDE issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!