HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need new hard drive.... I think

by ritau / July 30, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

So I have this Toshiba Satellite A215 S7437 OS Vista. Fairly new almost 2 years old. Have had issues with it from the beginning. Before the warranty was up took to their repair center and they installed new hard drive. So now less than a year later I believe it needs.... guess.. yep, new hard drive. So, Have this message saying failure of hard drive is imminent back up your stuff now (my words) but it wont let me do anything, it wont boot stays on the black screen when I reboot it with the same message: hard drive failure imminent. So, I want to replace hard drive myself, it has a 200 GB Sata hard drive is what I know. Is it hard to replace it? where can I find the instructions on how to do it? I am going to replace with another one the same, well found a 250 GB hard drive, not going to upgrade to anything fancy because as soon as its working I'm selling for what I can get. Already bought new laptop and you can bet it wasnt a Toshiba lol. So, please help me if you can, maybe with the instructions on how to do it... and maybe what are some known issues in case they happen to me.. so I know what to do and not panick. thanks for your help. again.... been here before Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new hard drive.... I think
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new hard drive.... I think
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't this just a simple thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

We swap the drive and use the restore media to bring the machine back to its factory load?

No one I knows will risk cloning the drive since you may leave personal information on the old drive.

And no, these are not hard to replace. Just google something like How to replace a toshiba laptop hard drive?
Bob

Collapse -
ok.. so i looked up on how to replace hard drive...
by ritau / July 31, 2009 9:28 AM PDT

looks easy enough. But whats this about cloning? I dont know what that means? Is that easy enough? what do I need to do it? I have the restore cds from Toshiba. swap the drive means what I said right? just take out old and put in new with the restore media? i dont know Bob I always think Im pretty computer savvy till I come to this place and never know what you mean lol.. sorry. Explain in layman terms? thanks Bob.

Collapse -
Cloning is too hard for most.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 9:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you... replaced hard drive was a success
by ritau / August 3, 2009 8:48 AM PDT

One more thing. What do I need to backup what was on the hard drive that failed? Can this be done at home with the right equipment? Best Buy charges $99 for this. If the hard drive failed is there anything to save? Thanks.

Collapse -
Depends on the failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 11:39 AM PDT

Let's say the OS does not boot? If so we can place the old drive into some USB enclosure and copy our files out.

Collapse -
ok... so
by ritau / August 4, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

The OS doesnt boot. What is this usb enclosure you talk about? something I can buy inexpensively? Thanks Bob

Collapse -
I own this cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: ok... so
Collapse -
Awesome!
by ritau / August 5, 2009 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I own this cable.

Thank you Bob! You always come through.

Collapse -
One more thing Bob...
by ritau / August 6, 2009 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I own this cable.

While I have your attention *smiles*, I also have a desktop Dell Optiplex 150, OS Windows XP, do you have any idea if I can upgrade the hard drive it has such a small one and I know the memory can't go up to high, but the store dumbbell put a sticker right over the service tag numbe so I couldnt get much info from the dell website... any idea? if this can be upgraded to a faster hard drive? Thanks.

Collapse -
Let's do some research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: One more thing Bob...
Collapse -
Did some reading from the first link...
by ritau / August 7, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

Seems like its not possible from what I read. What about the second link? is that a drive that does fit it and will it work? And if i upgrade just the harddrive, does that mean at that same time I have to upgrade other things? power supply? I know the memory has been upgraded to its maximum which is 512 mb. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2009 12:14 PM PDT

But I've found many want some sort of warranty on advice. While I've done far too many upgrades like this, for the under 20 bucks I'm unsure why people hesitate. If you must find more assurance, try a shop counter. But I don't think they'll let you escape for 20 bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
Dont take it wrong
by ritau / August 11, 2009 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

No Bob was not looking for warranty on advice. I felt I needed a little more as in your reply before this one you ended it with a question mark as if questioning it yourself. So I wasnt sure what you were trying to tell me. Sorry you took it wrong. I guess all I need to know is yes it can be upgraded and I can take it to a computer store, I just dont want to take it and then they tell me yes but just to take my money. Kinda like when you go to the mechanic for a oil job and he says you need new brakes and new tires and etc. etc.

Collapse -
If it's not worth trying at 20 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Then it's not worth trying. I hear you that you want a sure thing but when it comes to old hardware you know that all bets are off so the best thing to do is to use what you learned and more. That is you know to not go overboard on the hard disk size to steer clear of the old BIOS and OS limits.

If you won't risk 17.99 for this one then it's best to head to a shop counter. Sadly they usually run in the few hundred buck range.
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.