Desktops forum

General discussion

Need new computer; pvr to dvd capable

What I'm hoping to do is record tv and burn dvds from a new computer (children's shows for my kids to watch in the minivan, entire seasons of shows, etc.). I'm looking for a computer with this capability - right now, it looks like there is an HP 7060 and a Gateway, both around $1000 at Bestbuy. It seems like a lot of people on here don't like the configuration of the HP. Anyone know how it will work for what I plan on doing? Other than what I just listed, I'll be making dvds from a minidv camera, downloadinging and photoshopping photos, and the internet. Not much gaming (xbox and soon xbox 360 for that).

Suggestions? HP or Gateway or other? Bestbuy? Looking to spend about $1000.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need new computer; pvr to dvd capable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need new computer; pvr to dvd capable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A TV capture card. . .

In reply to: Need new computer; pvr to dvd capable

or TV tuner card is all you need for your PC. It'll come with the software you need. Do a Google search on TV tuner cards.

I have a USB unit that makes my PC a TIVO, and included the software to burn DVDs.

Then again, maybe you really want a new PC??

Collapse -
a TV Capture card AND a DVD Burner...

goto www.newegg.com
pick out a GOOD tv capture card from Hauppage or ATi (others exist, but i can't think of them off the top of my head, so go with those because i know their good companies)

avoid anything under around $40
especially with ATi
i'd personally go Hauppage (heard better things (i have an ATI, it's horrible, but it's their cheapest model so i didn't expect miracles)

the second thing you'll need is a DVD burner
get one that burns DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW
some DVD players prefer + and some prefer - (not sure about that as much now, a while ago it was more common)

but the way to check which plays better in your DVD player is to get 1 RW of each
and test it out

i'd suggest just doing that
also
makesure your current PC has a fast processor, and at least 512MB of RAM (if it doesn't an upgrade might be in store for it) because moving the video around will be so horrible on anything less (The capture card probably wouldn't work on a slow CPU/low RAM)

Collapse -
Second Idea

just buy a freestanding DVD Burner device...about $300-$400
probably easier to use than a computer with capture card
just put the disc in
source in whatever you wish to record
and go
saves you $600-$700 over a new PC
and saves hastles of the system crashing/not having enough power to handle capture (if you upgraded your system)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!