Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

need motion detection software/hardware

by lcmoore99 / July 20, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct place to be but here I am!

I'm one of those nutty birdwatchers Happy I've installed a tiny video camera in a bluebird nest box and it's been an amazing experience to have gone through one complete bluebird life cycle watching the inside happenings on my TV or computer screen.

The video comes in on a simple cable with RCA ends for video in, audio in left and right (and power).

I bought the Dazzle 150 package that comes with Pinnacle Studio 9 which is cool for recording the video (and I'll be editing it with that probably).

There are so many amazing things that can go on while I'm away from the house and yes, I can record to a hard drive, a VCR, a DVD burner or my Tivo.

However, I can easily chew up disk space which is where I can do the editing.

What I've done (and you can laugh) to be able to monitor things easily, is to run Studio 9 and have the video shown on a small screen in the corner. And because I cannot yet find any software that will do this, I have taken my logitech web cab and pointed it at the video screen. The Logitech software DOES has motion detection so I use IT to record movement.

However, the files from this indirect system are lousy but right now good enough for my learning activities.

I DO want to be able, though, to take the video into some software (hardware?) that will do the motion detection directly. I haven't found any software that is compatible with the Dazzle.

Ok, so is there any analog video device other than Dazzle (or Dazzle natch) that can work with motion detection software?

Thanks in advance.

BirdWatcher Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need motion detection software/hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need motion detection software/hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
need motion detection software/hardware
by jcrobso / July 27, 2006 7:28 AM PDT

Video servalince software used by secuirty vendors will do this. Don't know if it will work with your Dazzle.
They have multi input video capture cards for 4 or more cameras, card and software. John
Google video securty

Collapse -
The hardware and software...
by GeeBee / July 27, 2006 11:34 AM PDT

...you require is widely available, and not even very expensive.

ATI's All-In-Wonder graphics cards have used their own Multimedia Centre (v8.7 - v9.0) software that could do motion sensitive capture for many years.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader for that link, but the capture modes are briefly detailed in pages 41 - 42.

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/MMC87.pdf

I've had AIW 8500DV and AIW 9800Pro in the past, and both of those used MMC versions which had motion sensing capture activation....which I even used once!

GeeBee.

Collapse -
looks good!
by lcmoore99 / July 27, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

GeeBee,

Thanks for the info about the ATI system.

I can open the PDF doc and will be reading it later today.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Linda...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!