HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need more RAM!

by menu_1 / July 21, 2005 7:27 PM PDT

I bought zoo tycoon 2 yesterday and installed it on my 650 mhz AMD machine. When i started the game i got an error that i need atleast 256 megz of ram but i've got only 128 mbs. I am not in a position to upgrade. Is there any patch for running it on computers with low memory or can i artificially increase the RAM or atleast show the game that i've got lots of RAM?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need more RAM!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need more RAM!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You wouldn't want to
by Yew / July 21, 2005 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Need more RAM!

Even if you could do this, you'd end up using swap space on your hard drive to make up for it. Your hard drive is many thousands of times slower than your RAM, so the performance of the game would be horrible.

Just about every week, Staples, Best Buy, and every other store that sells computers has some sort of rebate or sale on RAM. Just buy another 128MB or 256MB stick. Your computer will likely seem much faster all around once you do.

Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by menu_1 / July 22, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: You wouldn't want to

I don't care much about the game performance yet i just want the game to work. Is it possible to extend the RAM?

Collapse -
No
by Yew / July 23, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't matter

And trust me, you'd care about this kind of game performance. It would be completely unplayable. We're not talking the difference between 35fps and 37fps, we're talking well below the 30fps required to create the illusion of animation. Something along the lines of 10fps or less would be my guess.

Do yourself a favor, watch the various ads for electronics stores in your area. They're bound to have deals on RAM in the coming days. Figure out what kind you need, find that in the store, pay them to put it in your system if you need to, THEN play the game.

Collapse -
OK
by menu_1 / July 24, 2005 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: No

Ok i guess that's the only option left. But i m just wondering is it possible to 'fool' the game?

Collapse -
Like I said...
by Yew / July 24, 2005 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

Even if you could, you wouldn't want to, because the game would be completely unplayable. So the only useful information you could get out of it, would be to see if the game ran period.

Collapse -
In all likeyhood, nope
by Willy / July 21, 2005 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Need more RAM!

The game pretty much "tells you" what it needs and if you don't fulfill that don't expect to run it. Plus, with that much ram difference wanted, any patch or fix, the game is bound to be slow or jerky even if you got some patch, etc.. If you can, reduce the requirements or levels of play resources and see if it gets anywhere. Ram prices are decent, so shop around for the type you need.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.